Custom built home standby generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwintx

Hello all

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some opinions with my project. I am constructing a residential 30kw standby generator. The prime mover is an industrial 300 ford 6-cylinder engine. I will be using a Marathon alternator. Everything I need has been sourced and priced including the underground wiring (licensed electrican for all wiring), transfer switch, enclosure, NG line run, frame, and all related NG fuel componements.

I did get a quote for two Generac systems fully installed. One system, a 20kw air cooled ($8500) and a 22kw liquid cooled ($12,500). I did some reasearch and calulations, and figured I could build a similiar system to the 22kw for less money and have a better system which provides more kw.

My question is, do you gentlemen and ladies see any problems that could arise with a custom build such as this?. Would there be any issues with getting a permit and/or code violations installing a no name componement system?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum?s rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. Although your member profile states that you are a member of this industry or of a related industry, your question makes it clear that you are planning to perform electrical work at your own home, and that you are not an electrician.

I do note that you plan on using an electrican to perform the wiring. But you are doing the design work for a significant component of an electrical power system, and my view is that that crosses the line into electrical work. We are not permitted to provide ?how-to? assistance to a ?do-it-yourself? person.

If I have misinterpreted the situation, if this is a design task that you are performing on behalf of your employer, then send me Private Message to explain the circumstances. I would gladly reopen the thread, and post an apology for the delay and the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.