Custom made fixtures from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

working on a project which includes custm made fixtures from China and thus have no UL listing. Is this going to be an issue and should I notify the owner for any possible insurance problems?

mthead

Custom made fixtures from China

First let me say I aggree with Bryan.

Next -same question in effect-how would one deal with a fixture[or fixtures--such as a lovely sconce] purchased by a h/owner and her interior designer from the antique art store --said fixture was hanging from the cieling of the store supported by picture wire [ there was no other way to support it because it is not really a lighting fixture but a piece of art ].
I ask this because when I was a mechanic it was dealt with one way but since my reincarnation as an inspector I feel a certain guilt when recalling this situation.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
mthead said:
First let me say I aggree with Bryan.

Next -same question in effect-how would one deal with a fixture[or fixtures--such as a lovely sconce] purchased by a h/owner and her interior designer from the antique art store --said fixture was hanging from the cieling of the store supported by picture wire [ there was no other way to support it because it is not really a lighting fixture but a piece of art ].
I ask this because when I was a mechanic it was dealt with one way but since my reincarnation as an inspector I feel a certain guilt when recalling this situation.

Well here's the inspector answer. You are replacing a light fixture with another light fixture which doesn't require a permit. Since it doesn't require a permit, it doesn't require an inspection and you can install anything you want.

In Carson City, NV my grandmother lived in a house where all of the old gas lights had be converted to electrical (who knows when). I would bet that none of them had a UL label.

Status
Not open for further replies.