custom pull boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have seen many threads on this issue but i think i have a different situation. I think i am on the right track but need another opinion. Plus, it is kind of fun to watch you guys argue back and forth.:grin:
Please see attach.

RUWired

Are the conduits on the left side stacked 4 high or 4 flat. The pDF shows 4-high but your description says 4-flat. Are all 4 conduits filled with (4) 500 kcmil each and are they parallel conductors.

Rick

all 4 are stacked high. 3 of the conduits will be filled with the 500's 3-phase, neutral,1/0G. Actually this particular box is not going to be spliced inside here this will be just a pull box. I have a very similar situation that will be spliced. So if you can consider spliced and non-spliced senario.(much appreciated)

RUWired

I see a minimum required box 36" wide x 36" tall x 10" deep providing you keep 24" between raceway enclosing the same conductor. That would mean the left wall entry top conduit would have to use the back wall entry right hand conduit. I get the 10" deep from table 312.6A 3 parallels per terminal 500 kcmil. thats going to be a tight minimum required box. Spliced pull box would be same dimentions.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Based on:
Exception: Where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in Table 312.6(A).

I would say the max depth (assuming a removable cover) would be 6"

RUWired

Based on:
Exception: Where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in Table 312.6(A).

I would say the max depth (assuming a removable cover) would be 6"

I used what i thought was 3 parallel runs of 500 kcmil to get 10". If only one run, then 6" would be ok.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.