Customer wants 150amp welder hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customer wants a 150a. Lincoln Welder hooked up. 1 phase 208v. The specs in the book for the welder shows 150 amp Inverse Time or Thermal/Magnetic circuit breaker or (Super Lag) Fuses. They have a Cutler Hammer pnl with space if cutler hammer made a 150amp breaker that could fit in 3-one inch spaces, but they dont. The breakers stop at 100amps for the 3-one inch spaces. My plan was to install a 150amp breaker (if they made it) , then install a disconnect with 150amp TD fuses. Finding that this is not an option, some suggestions would be great..
Another question would be do they make a flexible cord rated at 150amps, like an SO cord? I'm picturing something like a 50amp scatter box cord, only rated for 150amps. This would be from the disco to the welder. The welder came with a two screw connector attached right out the box, and its on wheels.
I'm close to calling the customer and telling him to down size his welder.. Suggestions anyone?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I'm close to calling the customer and telling him to down size his welder

don't do that. provide what he needs.

i assume that whatever panel you were going to run a CB from can handle the load; so, why not tap those feeders and go straight to the fused disconnect?

iwire

Staff member
bakerbrotherselectric said:
Another question would be do they make a flexible cord rated at 150amps,

It would be very unlikely this welder, even with a 150 amp breaker needs 150 amp conductors.

Conductor sizing for welders is very different then other type of circuits.

You need to find out the units "duty cycle" then look at Table 630.11 to find the correct multiplier to apply to the units rated primary current.

Or if the units lable has the I1eff value you use that.

Last edited:
The panel can handle it. Its a 300amp pnl with very little load. Your saying tap the feeders? Would this be at the line side of the main 300amp breaker or the load side? Or tap the bus and install lugs directly to the bus? The welder would be located about 80' away. Tap rule? Does that wire going from the panel to the disco need to be protected? You would have to kill the main feed to shut down the line side of the disco.

iwire

Staff member
bakerbrotherselectric said:
The panel can handle it. Its a 300amp pnl with very little load. Your saying tap the feeders? Would this be at the line side of the main 300amp breaker or the load side? Or tap the bus and install lugs directly to the bus?

Tap the feeders or the bus if there are feed through lugs.

The welder would be located about 80' away.

You would have to install over current protection as close to the tap as possible, not more then 10' most likely.

Does that wire going from the panel to the disco need to be protected?

You bet it does but that s not a big deal.

JES2727

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, except it was a 100 amp welder. I had a rough time figuring out what size power cord to use, even after reading the code book and looking at the nameplate on the welder. I went looking for rubber cord with #1 awg conductors, and a 100 amp pin and sleeve connector ($$$). Then I called Lincoln and told them I needed a power cord for a 100 amp welder. They sent it right out. It was #6 awg, and I used a 60 amp plug and receptacle.

iwire

Staff member
ptonsparky said:
The standard Farm duty shop welder may be a 150 amp but they are talking secondary side. A 30 or 40 amp breaker will run those.

From the opening post

The specs in the book for the welder shows 150 amp Inverse Time or Thermal/Magnetic circuit breaker or (Super Lag) Fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.