Cutler-Hamer Arc-fault in an ITE Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt101

Ran across this situation the other day during a final inspection, an CL breaker in an ITE panel. The breaker claims to be a "classified circuit breaker" however the panel does not list that breaker in its list of "specified circuit breakers". Does the use of this CL115AF breaker in this panel violate 110.3(b) of the panels labeling, or does the breakers label supersede the panels?

edit- cause my dang finger misfired

[ June 20, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: volt101 ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Cutler-Hamer Arc-fault in an ITE Panel

You have to look at the list of panels that is supplied with the classified breaker. You will not find the classified breaker listed on the panel itself. UL says that the use of classified breakers per the classification does not violate 110.3(B).
Don

volt101

Don,
Ah-ha, I think I found what it is your stating, is this it?

CIRCUIT BREAKERS, MOLDED-CASE,
CLASSIFIED FOR USE IN SPECIFIED
EQUIPMENT (DIXF)
GENERAL
This category covers Classified molded-case circuit breakers rated 15 to
50 A, 120/240 V maximum that have been investigated and found suitable
for use in place of other Listed circuit breakers in specific Listed panelboards,
with ratings not exceeding 225 A, 120/240 V ac and a short-circuit
current of 10 kA. The circuit breakers are Classified for use in specified
panelboards in accordance with the details described on the circuit breaker
or in the publication provided therewith.
In addition, Classified molded-case circuit breakers may also be Listed
with additional features such as a ground-fault trip element, ground-fault
circuit interrupter, arc-fault circuit interrupter, secondary surge arrester,
transient voltage surge suppressor, and the like.

derf48

UL has maintained from the beginning that you must accept classified breakers as they list them. But the real question is the use of them a violation of 110.3? The simple answer is are you buying or selling. If it is my breaker that you want to install, I would point out the listing and say it is fine. If it is my panel you want to put a classified breaker in, I would point out the listing and labeling of my panel which only lists my breakers and scream that it is a code violation. Ask your local AHJ if they accept classified breakers. In rural areas there might be a reason to do so, an electrician can carry only so much on a truck. But in an urban setting, where there may be 15 wholesale houses in a 10 mile radius, why would anyone want to get caught in this controversial installation.

I personally do not accept them as I firmly believe in 110.3 (B).

Fred Bender

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by derf48:
I personally do not accept them as I firmly believe in 110.3 (B).

Fred Bender
Lucky for me the inspectors in my area do not get the option to turn down UL listed or classified equipment. :D

Let me ask you this.

How do you handle an added circuit to say a Challenger panel?

Challenger does not exist any longer but Thomas & Betts makes a classified breaker for the Challenger panels. :cool:

electricmanscott

Originally posted by derf48:
If it is my panel you want to put a classified breaker in, I would point out the listing and labeling of my panel which only lists my breakers and scream that it is a code violation.
Fred Bender
Why? :confused: You accept the listing and labeling of the panel but throw out the listing and labeling of the breakers? Can't have it both ways. If one listing is valid then all should be.

mdshunk

All joking aside, when faced with seemingly contradictary UL labeling information, I pick the one that suits me best. At least I'll have somthing to lean on. I do agree that a classified breaker has been investigated to go in that certain panel, often quite a number of years after the panel's label information was printed. SO, the classified breaker information prevails.

derf48

Any product that is listed simply means that a NRTL, not just UL, has evaluated it to the standards and criteria set forth by the manufacturer. There is no provision in the NEC established to mandate listed equipment, it is up to the AHJ to approve any and all installations.

I will just ask you to read the panel info located inside the cover on most brands. Some state very emphatically that use of another brand will void the warranty, cause fires, and maybe electrocution. To the untrained person who reads this, it is a strong message as to the integrity of the installer. Remember I said that there is a time and place for classified breakers, usually in the rural areas and on a case by case basis.

I have a lot of respect for UL, yet I remember that they do not enforce the code or interpret it. Of course their opinion is that a classified breaker does not violate 110.3, but they also took money to classify that breaker.

Fred Bender

sandsnow

Fred
As an inspector, it's not my job to enforce warranty issues. That said, I think the warranty of the classified breaker kicks in.

I have no problem with classified breakers used per instructions.

A breaker ok in the country, but not in the city doesn't fly. It either ok everywhere or nowhere.
UL or any NRTL takes money to list and classify everything. So what?

If I were going to reject classified breakers, I would need evidence of something wrong with them. And if that were the case, I would file a field report with UL.

Status
Not open for further replies.