cutler-hammer "lock dogs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is regarding the use of lock dogs. Lock dogs are used to lock a breaker in the "on or off" position. Does locking a breaker in the on position violate any code ? Breaker reps say that even though a breaker is locked in the on postion it is designed with an internal trip mechanism and will still function. Is this true ?Is it a fire hazard ?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: cutler-hammer "lock dogs"

No fire hazzard, and it is OK. It is often done with emergency and exit lighting circuits and fire alarm panels so people don't accidently shut off the breaker. Usually a screwdriver will remove the lock and allow the breaker to be turned off.

Steve

BruceH

We did a job once and used these on a few critical circuits. The inspector came in and condecendingly asked " how do you expect the breaker to trip when you guys have those locks on them?" He made us remove them. Told us they were unsafe and wouldn't allow the breaker to trip. We took them off, chuckled a bit and went to the next job. Some people. :roll:

69boss302

When a breaker trips on fault it has nothing to do with the handle position. The tripped position of a breaker is just so you can see that it is tripped by looking at it. I can remember times you can't even tell that, you have to feel if the handle is kind of "lose". You can close a breaker with the fault still there and the second it closes it trips and you can be holding it in the closed position. They make them that way so nobody can stand there hold them closed under a fault.

paul

I'm not at all for locking on the exit and e-lights in the on position. I like to have the ability to shut the circuit off quickly should the need arise. I also prefer to put the e-lights on the same circuit as the circuit that provides the general lighting in that area. That way, should the breaker trip that supplies the lighting, you have e-lights that come on.

I did a job for Verizon a while ago in their C.O. where the enginer drew all the e-lights being place on the inverter circuit. I thought that was absolutely brilliant. In the event of a power outage, the inverter stays powered up and the emergency lights battery backup stays charged. What a wonderful idea. Unfortunately it will be dark until the genset fires up and transfers. :roll: Anyway, I called him up and explained that his e-lights would never come on unless the inverter failed or the breaker tripped. He then allowed me to put it on the lighting circuit.

allenwayne

Here when we hard wire a disposal,d/w,range hood or if the a/c disc or a/h/u doesn`t have clearance we are required to use a lock out ;)
To think a lock out will not allow a breaker to trip????? The lock out only works in the off position.

roger s deas

Allen,

Originally posted by allenwayne:

To think a lock out will not allow a breaker to trip????? The lock out only works in the off position.
wrong, turn it around. We use these same locks to lock F/A breakers in the on position.

Roger

luke warmwater

The CH breaker locks will work in the 'OFF' or 'ON' position.
A CH breaker will trip even if locked in the 'ON' position, as others have stated. Your breaker Rep was correct.
And CH breakers trip to 'OFF' position (as long as the handle is not locked in the 'on' position). None of that funky loose feeling middle position that you can't tell for sure if it is tripped.

Hi Roger. :) Out of town??

marinesgt0411

I cannot count the number of times that I almost failed a final inspection for not having a breaker lock for the fire alarm panel breaker that locks it in the on posistion I now carry a number of these for square-D, cutler hammer, GE, Siemans on my truck.

And they DO NOT prevent the breaker from functioning as it should.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Todd. Yeah, a quick trip to visit the folks, had to do some sevice work. :)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.