cutting a 2x4 fluorescent lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If no table saw is available, use a long straight edge, and score a groove where you want the cut. You'll need to make a few passes. Then cantilever the lens over the edge of a counter or table, and snap the lens at the cut line. It's usually a wee bit rough, but good enough to be hidden in the troffer lens frame.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I use a Skil-Saw. A Porter Cable sidewinder and a twenty four tooth carbide blade actually. Any variety will do. Turn the blade around so the teeth are backwards, that is the key to avoiding shrapnel.

Clamp over the lens with something; steel studs work great. I line the blade up with the cut line and pinch the front of the shoe on the saw so that my forefinger is a rip fence. If you are not comfortable with this then set your steel stud up as a fence.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If no table saw is available, use a long straight edge, and score a groove where you want the cut. You'll need to make a few passes. Then cantilever the lens over the edge of a counter or table, and snap the lens at the cut line. It's usually a wee bit rough, but good enough to be hidden in the troffer lens frame.

When I use this method I score both sides before snapping it.

Roger

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Are there any hints about an effective way to cut an inch or so off a 2x4 lens? I know they are easy to break and scoring is a hard job.
D28402_1.jpg

with thin cutting wheel

Clamp work piece between solid backing and a straight-edge cutting guide. Allow for shroud to wheel distance so the shroud can ride against guide with wheel perpendicular to work piece. And of course wear the proper PPE as you work.

renosteinke

Hint #1: Buy them the right size to begin with.

#2: Get real lenses.

The crap sold by the box stores is a 'bulk' material that fits well in the grid- but is larger than any fixture frame. It's also brittle.

By comparison, the replacement lenses you get from the supply house are twice as thick, somewhat rubbery by comparison, and the right size. They're also a better plastic, one that won't turn yellow and crack in six months.

Sure, $27 seems high when you look at the box store $8 lens, but what's your time worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.