Cutting long barrel lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitt123

Is there any code or reason why you should not cut long barallel lugs if they are too long and providing a space or clearance issue.

For instance if I had a (2) hole long barallel lug and I cut it to only use one of the holes, would this be a violation of any code?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is there any code or reason why you should not cut long barallel lugs if they are too long and providing a space or clearance issue.

For instance if I had a (2) hole long barallel lug and I cut it to only use one of the holes, would this be a violation of any code?

Other than voiding the UL listing of the lug I would also say you have taken away the needed contact area of the lug for carrying the load.

wireguy8169

Maybe 110.3 (B), was probably tested in the form you bought not at a cut length. Could always call the manufacture the may tell you. I am thinking (could be wrong) that the amount of metal used to make the lug was engineered to carry the current for conductor range its good for. Hope that helps

markstg

Other than voiding the UL listing of the lug I would also say you have taken away the needed contact area of the lug for carrying the load.

I have never purchased a compression lug based on current rating, always cable size, and for the same cable size the lugs come in 1 or 2 hole versions.

If I need to bend the lug to 45 degrees for better fit to a bus bar, can I bend a staight connector or do I have to buy a 45 deg.

wireguy8169

I have never purchased a compression lug based on current rating, always cable size, and for the same cable size the lugs come in 1 or 2 hole versions.

If I need to bend the lug to 45 degrees for better fit to a bus bar, can I bend a staight connector or do I have to buy a 45 deg.

And the cable size is based on the load typically, so even though you do not buy a 100amp lug, its possible that if you buy a lug for use with a #3 cu conductor max. it may be able to handle the same load as the conductor. Again not sure of tolerances or whatever, but I would say buy the correct lug this the way to go. And remember when you bend something metal it changes the properties some, might develop a hot spot. Do not know for sure but seems reasonable to me from what I remember about physics :D

walkerj

We recently did a 4000a service change/generator install that required POCO to mount the ct's in their pad-mount transformer.

It was saturday and the bushings they had were too long so they borrowed my bandsaw and cut two spaces off!

I wouldn't do it for a current carrying conductor, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it for a ground lug if I was in a bind:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.