cutting oil with carbide hole cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Burger

Does cutting oil increase the effectiveness of a carbide tipped hole cutter? I haven't been able to find any site on the web that covers this.

I've used the Lenox lube for regular hole saws on steel studs, and on drill bits, and they seem to go throught the metal faster. I use my carbide cutters at low speed and don't push the bit, but I'm wondering if using the oil will increase the tool life/effectiveness, or am I wasting my time. They do cost a bunch to replace. Thanks for any input.

wireguru

I checked my Ruko catalog (really nice german made carbide cutters) and there is a table which shows cutting speeds and coolant for different hole sizes and materials. For steel it says "coolant spray" which i take to be not oil, but a cutting fluid.

Mule

Does cutting oil increase the effectiveness of a carbide tipped hole cutter? I haven't been able to find any site on the web that covers this.

I've used the Lenox lube for regular hole saws on steel studs, and on drill bits, and they seem to go throught the metal faster. I use my carbide cutters at low speed and don't push the bit, but I'm wondering if using the oil will increase the tool life/effectiveness, or am I wasting my time. They do cost a bunch to replace. Thanks for any input.

Oil, or Coolant keeps the cutter cool. And you know when a hole saw gets hot and changes color, its lost its hardness and bite. We rarely use hole saws on metal.

Howard Burger

Oil, or Coolant keeps the cutter cool. And you know when a hole saw gets hot and changes color, its lost its hardness and bite. We rarely use hole saws on metal.

I may be using the wrong term. The Lenox product is protool lube, not oil. Which makes sense, since oil is supposed to reduce friction, so how could it help a tool cut? So using a lube would keep the carbide cooler, thereby extending the life similar to with regular hole saws?

Mule

I may be using the wrong term. The Lenox product is protool lube, not oil. Which makes sense, since oil is supposed to reduce friction, so how could it help a tool cut? So using a lube would keep the carbide cooler, thereby extending the life similar to with regular hole saws?

Im not a expert on this topic, but my father is a retired machinist for GEICO:grin:.Just kidding about the GEICO part.... I would use the recomended lube. It will prolong the life and help keep them sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.