Cutting unfused wires from Main (line side)and installing Polaris taps in main panel for new solar.

Occupation
Master electrician
(Solar)Cutting Unfused wires from meter in main panel and installing Polaris taps on line side.
I was under the impression you could not cut unfused wires that you need to install a reversible taps on line side.
I cant find the code section ?
reminder, this is residential meter with a separate main 200 amp would not let me upload picture. Thank you guys.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There is no such code section that prohibits splicing service conductors.
There is a recently added requirement in 230.46 that you connectors be listed for line side applications, but at this point it is likely that you can find the documentation for your Polaris connectors.

Just a tip: When possible I like to use a double-entry two-position polaris connector that is a couple sizes larger than the wire, so I can slip it over the outside of the existing conductor and strip it without cutting it. Makes for a neater install, but is not required.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
OP, Are you referring to cable limiters? 230.82(1)?

They aren't required but might be needed for other reasons like not having a service rated gear/panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OP, Are you referring to cable limiters? 230.82(1)?

They aren't required but might be needed for other reasons like not having a service rated gear/panel.
As far as I know cable limiters are only used on parallel runs of high current systems to isolate a single faulted cable and let the remaining cables continue to carry the load.
They would have nothing to do with not having service rated equipment.

There is no such code section that prohibits splicing service conductors.

Its a bit interesting. The NEC generally has to tell us things we cant do, not give us permission to do things, but this is one of those areas where they tell us we can. There is 230.33 which note is under "Part III: underground service conductors". Then there is 230.46 which note is under "Part IV: service entrance conductors". Strangely there is no analogous statement under "Part II: overhead service conductors." :unsure:
Although there used to be.
Oh? when did that change? And was there a specific prohibition or did the sections I mentioned above just not exist? (which would have made them allowed IMO)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh? when did that change? And was there a specific prohibition or did the sections I mentioned above just not exist? (which would have made them allowed IMO)
I believe it was back in the '70s. In one code edition, splicing service conductors was specifically prohibited, and in the next edition, it was specifically allowed.

I remember this because I had to move a meter for an addition on a house, and it had just become permissible to extend the existing service cable instead of having to replace it.

I believe it was back in the '70s. In one code edition, splicing service conductors was specifically prohibited, and in the next edition, it was specifically allowed.

I remember this because I had to move a meter for an addition on a house, and it had just become permissible to extend the existing service cable instead of having to replace it.
Oh the 70's, I dot remember much from those days - no not because I was high all the time, i was born in 79 😇

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
As far as I know cable limiters are only used on parallel runs of high current systems to isolate a single faulted cable and let the remaining cables continue to carry the load.
They would have nothing to do with not having service rated equipment.

I thought you could use 230.82(1) instead of (6) when installing without the last part, "if provided with a disconnecting means listed as suitable for use as service equipment, and overcurrent protection as specified in Part VII of Article 230."

But I don't think it would be compliant anymore. I went back to 705.11 and realized it specifies 230.82(6).

I have seen them spec-ed out on solar plans before, but now I don't know why. (P.S. They had SUSE for the solar install). I thought they did it to limit available fault current or something. The install was based on the NEC 2017. This was a couple of years ago. Maybe it was required by the UL inspector.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
(Solar)Cutting Unfused wires from meter in main panel and installing Polaris taps on line side.
I was under the impression you could not cut unfused wires that you need to install a reversible taps on line side.
reminder, this is residential meter with a separate main 200 amp would not let me upload picture. Thank you guys.
Around here most will use piercing taps rather than cutting the wires.
Are you dealing with a "Meter/Main" panel like this:
1724166587170.png
If so they are, either are usually bus way from meter or a factory molded wire. Either would not allow for "cutting in".

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
View attachment 2573039
If so they are, either are usually bus way from meter or a factory molded wire. Either would not allow for "cutting in".
Are IPCs now compliant with 230.46?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 1974 code included the text below and the first 4 exceptions. The 5th exception was added in 1978 and the 6th in the 1996 code.
230-46 Unspliced Conductors
. Service-entrance conductors shall not spliced.

Exception No. 1: Clamped or bolted connections in metering equipment enclosures shall be permitted.

Exception No. 2: Where service-entrance conductors are tapped to supply two to six disconnecting means grouped at a common location.

Exception No. 3: At a properly enclosed junction point where an underground wiring method is changed to another type of wiring method.

Exception No. 4: A connection shall be permitted where service conductors are extended from a service drop to an outside meter location and returned to connect to the service-entrance conductors of an existing installation.

Exception No. 5: Where the service-entrance conductors consist a busway, connections shall be permitted as required to assemble the various sections and fittings.

Exception No. 6: For existing service-entrance conductors, it shall be permissible to install listed underground splice kits for:

a. Repair of existing conductors.

b. Extension of conductors by special permission of the authority having jurisdiction.

It changed to "positive text" in the 99 code.

The 1974 code included the text below and the first 4 exceptions. The 5th exception was added in 1978 and the 6th in the 1996 code.

Thanks for that. Interesting. That was certainly ridiculous. 🙃

Perhaps we can all pitch in and get the CMP members some therapists. They seem to have trouble "letting go". They must have been wringing their hands and losing sleep every night for the 20 years over this until they couldnt take it any longer and added the "connectors listed for line side of the service disconnect" requirement. Hopefully they are sleeping ok now. 🤣

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for that. Interesting. That was certainly ridiculous. 🙃

Perhaps we can all pitch in and get the CMP members some therapists. They seem to have trouble "letting go". They must have been wringing their hands and losing sleep every night for the 20 years over this until they couldnt take it any longer and added the "connectors listed for line side of the service disconnect" requirement. Hopefully they are sleeping ok now. 🤣
In general the CMP members do not write code rules, they only act on proposed changes that have been submitted to them and evaluate those proposes based on the technical substantiation that was submitted to support the proposed change.

Occupation
Master electrician

View attachment 2573039