Cycle timer

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Smash

I’m looking for a timer that can be custom programmed for the days work which varies day to day. I’m really looking for the manufacturer who makes one for an industrial setting. It’s a small 1/4 HP motor. I understand how to do it just what’s my best option. Needs to be easy to operate easy to daily program.

Smash

Maybe just put a time off delay on it.
When the saw shuts off the chip motor will run for 10 min. Then you only need to control the saw.
Get a control volt din rail type. A set of aux on saw starter should do it. Tie into you chip saw starter/ relay
That’s not bad except it will change day to day. Different products produce different chips at different speeds. Looking for a daily programmable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Please explain what you want to have happen. Is starting the conveyor with the saw okay in every instance?

If so, then how many different run-on times do you need, and how many minutes should each of them be?

Smash

Please explain what you want to have happen. Is starting the conveyor with the saw okay in every instance?

If so, then how many different run-on times do you need, and how many minutes should each of them be?
It changes day to day product to product. The operator will custom program the timer each day to which intervals are needed for the work that day.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It changes day to day product to product. The operator will custom program the timer each day to which intervals are needed for the work that day.
Would it be acceptable for the operator to manually set an adjustable timer for each day's work?

That's very easy; what are the minimum and maximum delay times? What is the control voltage?

Smash

Would it be acceptable for the operator to manually set an adjustable timer for each day's work?

That's very easy; what are the minimum and maximum delay times? What is the control voltage?
For the most part it would be 10 min on 30 min off that’s an average. I’d like something with a couple dials to customize each day. 240V 1/4 HP motor

Smash

Not necessary. The hot chips accumulate into a small trough takes about 30 min after that time conveyor will take the cooled down chips from the trough to dump cart. It can then shut down and wait for trough to fill again. Right now it’s portable and turned by hand as needed.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The dual timers listed on the page with the Idec products will work. More than likely you will want a DP contactor to actually cycle your 1/4 HP. One control knob sets the delay to close and the other Delay open. There are multiple ways to do it but that is probably the simplest.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
The dual timers listed on the page with the Idec products will work. More than likely you will want a DP contactor to actually cycle your 1/4 HP. One control knob sets the delay to close and the other Delay open. There are multiple ways to do it but that is probably the simplest.
Simpler yet would be to have the timer itself close the circuit for the 1/4hp motor. The ones I was looking at were rated at 5 amp resistive. I am thinking that would be good enough for a 1/4 hp motor, but best to check with the manufacturer.

Smash

The small machine shop customer I had just let the chip conveyors run. Otherwise
View attachment 2567640
I spoke with the client yesterday and asked that same question. It was to do with the cooling of the chips first. It’s a really short conveyor run like 10ft. Their concern was operator safety being near glowing hot chips. So there’s a cooling period of about 10min. It’s certainly a work in progress they’re trying to automate at least part of this process.

Smash

Simpler yet would be to have the timer itself close the circuit for the 1/4hp motor. The ones I was looking at were rated at 5 amp resistive. I am thinking that would be good enough for a 1/4 hp motor, but best to check with the manufacturer
I spoke with the client yesterday and asked that same question. It was to do with the cooling of the chips first. It’s a really short conveyor run like 10ft. Their concern was operator safety being near glowing hot chips. So there’s a cooling period of about 10min. It’s certainly a work in progress they’re trying to automate at least part of this process.