Daily Log Book

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Daily Log Book

• Yes, because I'm required to.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Yes, but only because it's my choice to.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No.

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
Who keeps a daily log book, what's recorded in it, and why?

Just kinda curious. ;)
I keep a daily log book for many reasons.
1. Helps me keeps track what I did last week.
2. who worked on what job and how long they worked
it helps with change order's .
3.It gives a history on how long it takes to do certain jobs
4. Its a good reminder when you are doing invoices especially if you did 2 or 3 jobs in a day ,4 days a week.

quogueelectric

I actually have a personal diary because if you have a daily log it could or could not become legal property of the person you are working for in a court of law from what I am told. It sure looks like a daily log but I assure you it is a personal diary of electrical work. It cannot have loose leaf so small composition books work well as you cannot remove or shuffle the pages as evidence so I am told.

480sparky

quogueelectric said:
I actually have a personal diary because if you have a daily log it could or could not become legal property of the person you are working for in a court of law from what I am told. It sure looks like a daily log but I assure you it is a personal diary of electrical work. It cannot have loose leaf so small composition books work well as you cannot remove or shuffle the pages as evidence so I am told.

I would think if you filled it out while on the clock, the company could lay claim to it. But if you're off the clock, it should be hands off. But then, I'm no legal eagle.

And yes, solidly-bound books are the only ones that will stand up in court. Rings binders would never make it past the discovery phase.

I have my own logbooks custom-made at Kinkos. They have a permanent binding that will (or so I'm told) stand up.

quogueelectric

480sparky said:
I would think if you filled it out while on the clock, the company could lay claim to it. But if you're off the clock, it should be hands off. But then, I'm no legal eagle.

And yes, solidly-bound books are the only ones that will stand up in court. Rings binders would never make it past the discovery phase.

I have my own logbooks custom-made at Kinkos. They have a permanent binding that will (or so I'm told) stand up.
Half of it is to cya and the other half is sometimes it makes you looklike rainman to the boss . Many moons ago my boss beeped me yes I used to have a beeper (embarasing) I pulled the truck over to a payphone(I am dating myself) he asked me about a job I did at Macys 6 months ago so I fumbled with my book for a second and read off what I had wrote that date. I gave him the exact hours the name of my partner and aprox how much material and exact hours of a job I completed 6 months ago like it was off the top of my head sohe could bill accurately. It only takes a few minutes and the info is priceless. Do it if you dont now. Pics of the boss helps too.

cschmid

Yea I keep track of stuff like carbs, calories, cholesterol you know the stuff to help me maintain my diet to keep my sugar diabetes under control..other wise no log book or journals..just normal paper work will do for me..

MJJBEE

Daily Log

Daily Log

I keep one in an engineering log book. It helps me keep track of items outstanding and things to take care of. I generally have 1 per large project and 1 for all the small stuff I do. I know it keeps me organized but I think it may also be useful during an upcoming lawsuit so there are may reasons to do so. Also it along with electronic copies of emails have saved my employer thousands of dollars in charges and expenses because others have messed up orders etc. I think it is well worth using especially if you run a large operation or have complex projects.

edit for spelling

Last edited:

wbalsam1

In addition to keeping the "pink" copy of every electrical inspection application, which contains names, streets, owners, contractors, phone numbers and an accurate detail of the project including how many receptacles, lights, etc., etc.,

I also keep a copy of the daily report sheet that I fill out at the end of each day. This record contains how many stops, what townships, contractors/owners, covers, not completes, locked, defects noted in workmanship, defects noted in equipment, temporary power cards issued, jobs OK'd, new applications, etc., etc....

Then there's the monthly report...and the year-end report...then there are other reports dealing with auto expenses and meals and hotel rooms, etc.....:smile:

jsharvey

Keep the log book

Keep the log book

I've kept a log of my daily stuff since I was a pup. The Journeyman I started out with kept one and got me started on it. As someone said it can help if you need info on a job six months ago, or you can use it to put other info about a job in it like safety problems you find. For example you find that X is defective and needs replaced. GC says no leave it since it isn't part of the remodel contract. You talk to boss, boss says leave it because the Gc won't pay for it. 6 months later the place has a fire that started in X equipment. THANK God for the log book !!

J.S.Harvey

SiddMartin

I keep a pretty detailed folder that I put in daily sheets that I fill out. One folder for a larger job (4 mths +) and one folder for all the little jobs that I get pulled off to do. It really makes ya look good when the boss asks you a question and you have all the info right there. Also like others have said, change orders, judgement calls, good way to CYA

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have a hard time answering the poll:

- I am required at the moment to keep a daily log at my jobsite, by the GC, because it's required for the government job, so "yes."

- I've started keeping track of my hours on my PDA, and keeping a general tab of where I was and did, but it's not really a log so much as a footnote. But I've started keeping track of personal events the same way. So I guess that's voluntary.

- My shop doesn't require a daily log (that I know of), so I don't complete one for that. So, "no." :)

76nemo

Voice recorders

Voice recorders

I was talking about this just yesterday. I like to carry a mini-tape recorder on walk throughs. You can leave them on as the customer speaks as well, so you can go and backtrack to make sure you don't forget anything., They're great for quick notes, references, punch lists, etc., really beats jotting down notes. The recorder captures 100% of the notes I need before I get past the first 4 notations on a scrap book:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.