Dairy Farm Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Never gave it much thought but I would assume that a dairy farm would be one big Class 1, Div 1 Hazardous Location. Wondering if they used Chapter 5 wiring methods? Although in this case, the article below indicates it's thought the fire was initiated from over-heated equipment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I worked there for many reasons I would hope there was enough adequate ventilation to allow the area not to be classified :)

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
If it was ventilated, it doesn't seem like it was enough to keep the methane levels in the building below the lower flammability limit (LFL).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Never gave it much thought but I would assume that a dairy farm would be one big Class 1, Div 1 Hazardous Location. Wondering if they used Chapter 5 wiring methods? Although in this case, the article below indicates it's thought the fire was initiated from over-heated equipment.

The article engages in rank speculation by one individual (the sheriff), who wasn't present at the time of the incident, as to the possible cause without offering any supporting evidence. It might as well have been aliens.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Never gave it much thought but I would assume that a dairy farm would be one big Class 1, Div 1 Hazardous Location.
You would be making the wrong assumption.

There are limited air movement spaces in the manure handling areas, but not in the general barn or milking parlors.

Almost all of the factory farm barns I have seen have open side walls to help get rid of the heat generated by the cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.