Daisy Chained Receptacles in Conduit - 310.15(A) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Pretty sure I got this right, but would like some verification.

A wall in a typical industrial site needs receptacles every so many feet with all raceways being rigid conduit. A horizontal conduit with tees is run up near the ceiling. At each tee a conduit is run to a few feet from the floor where they end in receptacle outlets. The conductors are daisy chained from one receptacle to the next with 4 current carrying conductors in the vertical conduits and 2 current carrying conductors in the horizontal conduits. Lets say 10 receptacles on a 20 amps breaker with #12 THHN wire.

Paragraph 2 of 310.15(A) states "The temperature and correction and adjustment factors shall be permitted to be applied to the ampacity for the temperature rating of the conductor, if the corrected and adjusted ampacity does not exceed the ampacity for the temperature rating of the termination in accordance with the provisions of 110.14(C)."

So we look at Table 310.15(C)(1) and get an adjustment factor of 80%. Applying this to #12 THHN , 90deg column of Table 310.16 we get 24 amps (30 x .80 = 24). This does not exceed the ampacity shown in the 75deg column (25A), Also it is greater than the maximum sized OCPD for #12 wire (20A) as per 240.4(D). I find the same thing with conductors #18 thru #10. They can be daisy chained without lowering the max ampacity of the OCPD.

Bottom line is you can run up to 6 current carrying THHN conductors #18-#10 in a raceway without downsizing the OCPD.

Right or wrong, or is there more?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With #12 THHN you can put up to 9 CCC's in a raceway before the adjustment drops you below 20 amps.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pretty sure I got this right, but would like some verification.

A wall in a typical industrial site needs receptacles every so many feet with all raceways being rigid conduit. A horizontal conduit with tees is run up near the ceiling. At each tee a conduit is run to a few feet from the floor where they end in receptacle outlets. The conductors are daisy chained from one receptacle to the next with 4 current carrying conductors in the vertical conduits and 2 current carrying conductors in the horizontal conduits. Lets say 10 receptacles on a 20 amps breaker with #12 THHN wire.

Paragraph 2 of 310.15(A) states "The temperature and correction and adjustment factors shall be permitted to be applied to the ampacity for the temperature rating of the conductor, if the corrected and adjusted ampacity does not exceed the ampacity for the temperature rating of the termination in accordance with the provisions of 110.14(C)."

So we look at Table 310.15(C)(1) and get an adjustment factor of 80%. Applying this to #12 THHN , 90deg column of Table 310.16 we get 24 amps (30 x .80 = 24). This does not exceed the ampacity shown in the 75deg column (25A), Also it is greater than the maximum sized OCPD for #12 wire (20A) as per 240.4(D). I find the same thing with conductors #18 thru #10. They can be daisy chained without lowering the max ampacity of the OCPD.

Bottom line is you can run up to 6 current carrying THHN conductors #18-#10 in a raceway without downsizing the OCPD.

Right or wrong, or is there more?
With 15, 20 and 30 amp breakers, you can use 14, 12, and 10AWG respectively as long as there are no more than 9 current carrying conductors in the raceway.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If the T's were large enough I'd splice in the T's and save wire and reduce the heat. :)

JAP>

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
With 15, 20 and 30 amp breakers, you can use 14, 12, and 10AWG respectively as long as there are no more than 9 current carrying conductors in the raceway.
Hadn't realized all this, but you are limited to 6 conductors if there are receptacle loads with #10. Can't upsize the OCPD - 240.4(B)(1)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like you'd have to go to a 2" tee. A box would be better, but there's an advantage to having your connections where you can get to them easily.

We could always use the rigid as the EGC and only have to splice 3 #12 hots and 3 #12 neutrals in each T.

JAP>

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
We could always use the rigid as the EGC and only have to splice 3 #12 hots and 3 #12 neutrals in each T.

JAP>
Guess you could. Something I don't usually do. Lot of broken conduit in manufacturing plants. Third shift fork truck drivers. Can't say I'd do any better.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When the storeroom stocks tees and boxes, and covers for the tees, but not the boxes. Yeah, starting new job on Monday.
There are advantages an disadvantegs to both methods. Boxes require support conduit bodies do not so that's one advantage to not using a box. Since you're already splicing at the receptacles why add more splices at the "T" points. You might save some wire with the boxes but will have more labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.