Daisy Chaining Outlets via Stab in Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenb

Is it a code violation to daisy chain outlets using the "stab in" connectors on the back of the device?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Daisy Chaining Outlets via Stab in Connectors

Originally posted by greenb:
Is it a code violation to daisy chain outlets using the "stab in" connectors on the back of the device?
No it is not an NEC or UL violation to do that.

It is a UL violation to use both the screws and the back-stabs simultaneously for feed through.

It's a great way to ensure that the customer has future work for an electrician when they give out. ;)

Oh it is an NEC violation to do this with the neutral of a multiwire branch circuit.

jimwalker

I would not want this in my house.But you can back stap number 14.It will add lots of fun to afci.Your looking for repeat buisness i assume.

[ August 13, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

peter d

Originally posted by iwire:

It is a UL violation to use both the screws and the back-stabs simultaneously for feed through.
Wow, I never knew that. Can you link the UL document?

I don't backstab myself but I have worked for some new home EC's that only stabbed in and used that method plenty of times.

marinesgt0411

By all means use the stab in's

50% of my service calls are for receptacles or switches not working.

cause number 1 stab in used and came loose. hook wire and tighten on screw terminal. no more problem $90.00 to $250.00

cause number 2 wires not twisted together just put under wire nut, connection came loose. twist wires together put new wire nut on. no more problem $90.00 to $250.00

be careful with the ungrounded conductor (nuetral) removal of device cannot break the ungrounded conductor.

iwire

Staff member

Here you go

2004 UL White Book

Part of RECEPTACLES FOR ATTACHMENT PLUGS
AND PLUGS (RTRT) with some bolding by me.
Screwless terminal connectors of the conductor push-in type (also known as ??push-in-terminals??) are restricted to 15 A branch circuits and are for connection with 14 AWG solid copper wire only. They are not intended for use with aluminum or copper-clad aluminum wire, 14 AWG stranded copper wire, or 12 AWG solid or stranded copper wire.

Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have been investigated to feed branch circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:

Back wire (screw actuated clamp type)terminations with multiple wire access holes used concurrently to terminate more than one conductor

Side wire (binding screw) terminals used concurrently with their respective push-in(screwless) terminations to terminate more than one conductor

Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have not been investigated to feed branch circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:

Side wire (binding screw) terminal with its associated back wire (screw actuated clamp type) terminal

Multiple conductors under a single binding screw

Multiple conductors in a single back wire hole
It looks like I stated it wrong you can use back stabs and the screws but not the good kind of rear wire and the associated screws.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
Thanks Bob. That makes more sense now.
Its' actually a change since the 2003 White book which simply said rear terminals and side terminals had not been investigated for simultaneous use.

I agree it is more logical with the new complicated wording. :eek:

peter d

Well, I should say I at least understood the intent. :roll:

For the cheap residential grade receptacles, it's ok to use both terminals simultaneously.

For the high quality backwired receptacles, it's not OK to use both simultaneously. But I allready knew that from common sense.

redfish

The service call usually starts something like this, " Hello, I have an electrical short or something that has caused half of my living room outlets to stop working, can you come check it out?" After I rewire the back stabbed receptacle, the service call ends like this," That'll be $75.00 please."
woot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.