daisy chaining phone lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey huys I Have really not touched anything phone related.....I am gutting a house I just bought.... the electrical no problem....I want to replace all of the phone lines now with some cat 5....from the NI do I just connect the cat 5..then after what kind of bridge device would you guys suggest so I can intterconnect all the phone lines from down in my basement. any help would be great :)

dcspector

For a simple system I used to run a CAT5e feed from the SNI (outside) to a simple 110 punch down block, then run individual CAT5e's to each desired outlet location labeling each one. The block should be color coded for your punch downs.....memory serves me...... blue/wht. wht/blue orange/wht....wht./orange....green/wht....wht./green....brown/ wht....wht/brown.

NoVA Comms Power

Either a 110 block as Greg posted:
image032.jpg

Or, if it's for voice only (not ethernet), a 66 block:
image030.jpg

-Jim

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
dcspector said:
For a simple system I used to run a CAT5e feed from the SNI (outside) to a simple 110 punch down block, then run individual CAT5e's to each desired outlet location labeling each one. The block should be color coded for your punch downs.....memory serves me...... blue/wht. wht/blue orange/wht....wht./orange....green/wht....wht./green....brown/ wht....wht/brown.

You had the primary and secondary colors backwards:

POSITION PAIR COLOR CODE
  1. 1 White/Blue
  2. 1 Blue/White
  3. 2 White/Orange
  4. 2 Orange/White
  5. 3 White/Green
  6. 3 Green/White
  7. 4 White/Brown
  8. 4 Brown/White

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Daidy chain? I'd do homeruns from each location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
You had the primary and secondary colors backwards:

What difference does it make as long as they are all the same throughout the house. Just curious. I don't do phones much but everyone around here does it as DCspector said

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
What difference does it make as long as they are all the same throughout the house. Just curious.

Old guys like me remember the rotary phones that required correct polarity.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
chris kennedy said:
Old guys like me remember the rotary phones that required correct polarity.

Or the first generation push button phones. Reverse the polarity and they wouldn't dial.

Trevor I said "if memory served me" (My disclaimer). It has been a long time since my voice data days......Thanks

Disclaimer noted. For the record I couldn't positively remember it either and had to look it up.:wink:

dcspector

Here is how old I am.....does anyone remember Tip and Ring? I used to gaff poles for for a Telco in North Florida and would change pairs all of the time at pole then tone em out at the SNI...but they had to match regardless of color. The color of pairs is a standard....all I know for now.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Just want to point out that if you daisy chain the CAT5, you'll not be able to use it for ethernet. Only phone. If you home run all the CAT5, you'll be able to use it as either ethernet or phone.

cadpoint

telephone / CAT 5

telephone / CAT 5

Well. I'd certainly call and ask the local High speed service what there using from the connection point to first TV/cable modem. As said earlier by others make the choice a single home run for connection for TV and computer usage, and thus distributed back to the CPU’s or Telephone.
My phone and cable are run separate from main point of connection,
And is not a paid combined service, but with the available combined services of today, you’ll need to consider this going forward.
Where the wire changes over from house connection of cable/modem (example) to a router and possibly to an either net hub, the either net is not required but does allow an addition 4 CPU's, and there are only 4 connects on the smallest routers.
There’s really a whole lot of combinations, I like hard wires for phone, and CPU service and remember that with a hard wired phone you might still get phone calls when the power goes out. J
What people didn't say was that you can use the the additional wires of a Cat-5 8 pairs for telephone usage, but I didn't use that I like dedicated wires and not mixed services.
The big Organge box sells a smaller telephone peg board for around 25.00 a pop, 20-24 places.

ADDed:
I found this nice sight by Leviton in respects to the OP and what there using in the field, of course one has to sign up, etc. But it gives a good over-view and it isstick and to the point, IMO … Adobe marcoflash is required. http://ezlearn.leviton.com/el_front/login.aspx

Last edited:

LawnGuyLandSparky

If your gutting the house and have open walls, might as well install 3/4" or 1" EMT from each room to a central punchdown location. The way technology is advancing, by the time you're finished you'll be pulling cat8.

M

mkoloj

NoVA Comms Power said:
Either a 110 block as Greg posted:
image032.jpg

Or, if it's for voice only (not ethernet), a 66 block:
image030.jpg

-Jim

The image in Jim's post is a 110 disconnect block, not a very commonly used 110 block in my opinion.

I do know that it is used to isolate 2 sides of a communications circuit for testing or service disruption reasons.
I can't find too much useful literature on it except the install instructions.
http://www.siemon.com/int/download/installation_instructions/us/110_S110T-Disconnect-Block_ii.pdf

This is the common 110 block most commonly seen on voice installs.

merck2.jpg

I don't see how you plan to use it for an ethernet installation.
Please shed some light on that for me??

IMO you would be better off financially and physically just crimping on 8p8c connectors on the cables or better yet using a patch panel for the data side of things like a specialized VD cabling contractor would.

NoVA Comms Power

mkoloj said:
... IMO you would be better off financially and physically just crimping on 8p8c connectors on the cables or better yet using a patch panel for the data side of things ...
My purpose of posting the 110 pic was only to illustrate for the OP the "major" identifying style differences between "66" and the "110" blocks Greg mentioned ... not to recommend a particular component.

I personally prefer 66's for voice (lots of room to work, easier on the eyes, easy to reconfigure and/or add lines later)

-Jim

M

mkoloj

Just wanted to prevent confusion.
My apologies if any offense was taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.