data centre grounding testing procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Thanks for your professional reply and guidance

My apologies, I was not thinking straight.

If you are validating the bonding of TIA 607-B type generic bonding of data center equipment, I jiggle each connector hard, then use a low resistance (milliohm) meter and check the connection from each piece of equipment to its bonding conductor, all the way to the TMGB so it is guaranteed that the connection is good.

khaledakida

Thanks Ron and Jim.
Do I need to use the ground tester to measure the grounding resistance of the whole grounding system on the main ground bus or on the main grounding electrode?

ron

Thanks Ron and Jim.
Do I need to use the ground tester to measure the grounding resistance of the whole grounding system on the main ground bus or on the main grounding electrode?

There are lots of parts of the system. You can check the bonding of the equipment to each other and the ground bars with the low resistance meter as described. It confirms that everything is equipotential within that space. Then you check the grounding / earthing system (which includes the bonding within the building) using a three point fall of potential.

dereckbc

Staff member
resistance of the whole grounding system on the main ground bus or on the main grounding electrode?
You could but Earth Impedance does not mean much. I am a Co-Author of IEEE 1100-2005 Chapter 9 aka Power & Grounding Electronic Equipment. I also design protective grounding systems for Telephone Switching Offices, Cell Towers, and Data Centers for a living.

You are in a very specialized field and not picked up quickly as it goes well beyond NEC requirement and focuses on operation in addition to safety. Today grounding equipment racks and Signal Grounds is not of much importance today from a signal transmission POV. Gone are ground referenced signal protocols like RS-232. Today everything is either Balanced or Optical so a low noise reference is not needed or required. Gone are Single Point Grounds and In with Mesh Grounds where everything is bonded to everything to form a Equipotential Ground Plane. Not for signal or noise purposes but for lightning fault protection.

There are a few free documents out there but most are antiquated. But here is a FREEBIE that might interest you.

ANSI/BICSI -002.

EDIT: If you send me a PM I can email you a couple of documents that should help.

Last edited:

khaledakida

Thanks Dereckbc for your valuable info.
my email is: Blah Blah
Thanks in advance of sending me what you have that can help me!

You are in a very specialized field and not picked up quickly as it goes well beyond NEC requirement and focuses on operation in addition to safety. Today grounding equipment racks and Signal Grounds is not of much importance today from a signal transmission POV. Gone are ground referenced signal protocols like RS-232. Today everything is either Balanced or Optical so a low noise reference is not needed or required. Gone are Single Point Grounds and In with Mesh Grounds where everything is bonded to everything to form a Equipotential Ground Plane. Not for signal or noise purposes but for lightning fault protection.

There are a few free documents out there but most are antiquated. But here is a FREEBIE that might interest you.

I EDITED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OUT FOR YOUR PROTECTION. Dereck

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.