Data/Phone Outlet Below Raised Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have an office environment with a raised floor. It is not an IT room, so 645 should not be a player. IT-related cables will be installed in tray under the raised floor. Question: Does the code allow a data/phone outlet to be installed under the raised floor, with the user?s cable run through a (properly protected) hole in the floor, to be plugged into the outlet below the floor?

(This is a request from the client. I don't like the idea myself, but I can't find a code article that forbids it.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is not an air plenum, environmental or otherwise. That is, the mechanical engineers will not be intentionally pushing air through the space between the raised floor and the "real floor."

I have looked through 300 and 800, and convinced myself that 645 does not apply. I see that 645.5(D)(5) specifically allows it in an IT room, but that does not help my situation.

400.8(2) might be said to prohibit the practice. But I view the entire 400 as applying to power cords, not to data cords, even though 400.1 does not explicitly say that.

Is this going to be one of those things for which the fact that the NEC does not say it is not allowed is a reason to conclude that it is allowed?

JFletcher

400.8(2) might be said to prohibit the practice. But I view the entire 400 as applying to power cords, not to data cords, even though 400.1 does not explicitly say that.

Is this going to be one of those things for which the fact that the NEC does not say it is not allowed is a reason to conclude that it is allowed?

I agree: 90.3. Chapter 4 does not apply to Chapter 8 installations unless directly referenced in Chapter 8. I dont see any mention of 400.8 in Chapter 8.

cadpoint

I did a floor library with dedicated conduit for the telephone (1") to a box to flex to below under table multi-use ports. There was both video and I-net in this conduit.

The power was all supplied through manufactured flex with multi circuits to hub's that controled tree branch'n the circuits to point of use that also snapped into the same the multi-use ports.

The library tables also had reference desk lamps and was used for power from the same hubs. It was designed and incorp. by the furniture manufacture.

Flex was laying over top of telephone lines. The floor supports was also bonded. Heres a picture of the Desk (sorta).

airjacobs

I agree: 90.3. Chapter 4 does not apply to Chapter 8 installations unless directly referenced in Chapter 8. I dont see any mention of 400.8 in Chapter 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.