Dating an old Bryant device...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Gillis

An older home my son recently bought had a Bryant Antenna & Ground device in the living room (sketch attached). It fits into a standard box and has two connection points: one for a roof-top radio antenna and another for a ground connection. (I don't have the mating plug that was used with this device - it's likely still connected to the old radio and is now in the dump or in someone's collection!).

I'd like to know about when this device was installed in homes, possibly its' Bryant part number and anything else you might know about it. The house dates to the late 1930s so I suspect that's about the age of this thing.

Bryant Aerial Outlet.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer!

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Bryant Electric has been around since 1888; first making switches, then they expanded into all types of electrical connectors and switches, including GFCIs. Perhaps this was either just a connector or an early type of surge suppressor.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Bryant Electric has been around since 1888; first making switches, then they expanded into all types of electrical connectors and switches, including GFCIs. Perhaps this was either just a connector or an early type of surge suppressor.

It was to connect the antenna to the radio.

MDShunk (was banned from here some time ago, but I've heard he participates in another forum) knew quite a bit about these from what I remember. You may seek out hbiss (Hal) and see what he knows; he's an old school LV guy.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
It was to connect the antenna to the radio.

Yes, I know it was connected to the radio. And, nowadays, Leviton makes networking materials in addition to their electrical devices. Nothing saying Bryant didn't make r.f. connectors also.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've come across them a few times many years ago. Yes, they were an antenna receptacle and I found them used with early TV antenna systems in apartment buildings that were no longer functional. They were used (before 300 ohm twin lead) with coax (RG59) and had the center conductor on the "antenna" screw and the copper braid on the "ground". I kinda think that they predate TV and were originally for AM reception with the "ground" connected to a ground rod or CW ground and the "antenna" connected to an outdoor long wire antenna. Hopefully a lightning arrester was used before it entered the building.

-Hal

hurk27

Bryant Electric was purchased by Westinghouse Electric in 1901 then to Hubbell Incorporated in 1991 to which it is call to this day "Hubbell Bryant Electric" which can be read about "HERE"

That receptacle was an old broadcast radio (AM radio)/Shortwave connector, and has long been not used, I have found them over the years connected to a long wire in the attic rigged like a Dipole and some just went up to the roof but the long wire was long gone. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.