Davis-Bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I am trying to find out what the definition of "public building" or "public works" is as referenced in the davis-bacon act. I have in the past worked on a goverenment installation at a building where military personnel were being trained. There were other people(not military) goverenment employee's/contractors in this building.

mkgrady

I am trying to find out what the definition of "public building" or "public works" is as referenced in the davis-bacon act. I have in the past worked on a goverenment installation at a building where military personnel were being trained. There were other people(not military) goverenment employee's/contractors in this building.

Military or non-military makes no difference. As long as the property is owned by the government and the awarding authority is the government then Davis-Bacon wages should apply

fbhwt

Occupation
Davis-Bacon

Military or non-military makes no difference. As long as the property is owned by the government and the awarding authority is the government then Davis-Bacon wages should apply

We did the work through a government contractor (Lockheed-Martin) would the government still be the awarding authority?

fbhwt

Occupation
Statute of limitation

Statute of limitation

Is there a statute of limitation for recovering wages from an employer who did not pay employee's prevailing wage? I have looked in the DOL and WHD websites but have not found anything except for the employer must maintain records for three years on these contracts.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How large $$$ of a job was it? Sometimes well managed public works can fund their own projects and their is no set pay scale.
Where you get that idea. Never heard of that. if it went out to bid then it's goes by scale.
If the project is private and the goverment purchases afterwords then that would be different.

Derick

My understanding property owned by Public falls under Dais-Bacon Act.
By Public I mean:County, State, Fed etc. Quote me please if I am wrong.

Now as far as the wages for labor it varies.In here if overall contract sum is over 100K prevailing wages do apply (city,county).On a military prjct. I think it was only 2k or 20k.

fbhwt

Occupation
DBRA or DAVIS-BACON and RELATED ACTS

DBRA or DAVIS-BACON and RELATED ACTS

How large $$$ of a job was it? Sometimes well managed public works can fund their own projects and their is no set pay scale.

I think you need to go to the DEPARTMENT OF LABOR and read about DBRA and prevailing wages.

fbhwt

Occupation

fbhwt

Occupation
Davis-Bacon and Who is responsible?

Davis-Bacon and Who is responsible?

I started these threads to find out information from the people here who may have at one time or other worked on jobs that were covered by the Davis-Bacon Act, where prevailing wages apply. Some people seem to be pretty knowledgeable, others, like me,do not have a clear understanding of this subject. I have in the past couple of weeks gained a lot of information from this site and the Department of Labor. I suggest to anyone who is unsure about this subject go to the Department of Labor website and read. There are rules and Laws that cover this and will tell you "Who is responsible".

fbhwt

Occupation
Just Venting

Just Venting

I am a 56 yr old un-licensed electrician,I have been doing electrical work for 25+ yrs,I am a Air Force Vet,I recently quit my job with a company I have worked for for almost 8yrs. I worked for this company the first time for 5yrs,the second time for 3yrs. The first time I quit has nothing to do with this time.The reason I quit this time is I found out that jobs(government) I had done in the past I was not paid prevailing wage. I have been in contact with the DOL. I was instructed to contact the contracting agency and ask about the certified payroll to find out what I was or was suppose to be paid. I know I was not paid prevailing wage for these jobs. The last prevailing wage job I did just before I quit I was paid electricians wages, prevailing wage for the county I worked in, although it took 2wks before I got paid. I called my ex-employer today to find out where my last paycheck was at, I had asked to have it mailed to my house. He informed me that because I am not a licensed electrican I should not have been paid "electricians" wages. I was running this job as well as the ones in the past, I have meet with electrical inspectors on jobs I have done and other people in the company have done for rough in and final inspections. This state does not require me to have a license but does require me to be supervised. I take pride in my work and make sure it is code compliant. I am not sure what is going to become of all this, it has been very time consuming with all the research I have been doing to find out my rights. If anyone has any input on this matter, I'm all ears and yes, I plan on getting my license.

growler

He informed me that because I am not a licensed electrican I should not have been paid "electricians" wages. I was running this job as well as the ones in the past, I have meet with electrical inspectors on jobs I have done and other people in the company have done for rough in and final inspections.

Having a license has nothing to do with it. The only thing that counts when it comes to getting paid prevailing wage is the actual job that you perform. If a guy is on the job and he is wearing tools and doing electrical work and it's his first day of work ever then he still gets paid prevailing wage as an electrician. There are two guys that don't don't get electrican wages and that's a laborer and management.

Were you considered management as a non tool wearing supervisor? Running a job doesn't get you prevailing wage either but doing electrical work does.

Edit: I have collected prevailing wage as a working foreman. Had tools on and ran conduit. If I had sat in the trailer with a clipboard then no. Paperwork is not electrical work.

Last edited:

TxShocker

Having a license has nothing to do with it. The only thing that counts when it comes to getting paid prevailing wage is the actual job that you perform. If a guy is on the job and he is wearing tools and doing electrical work and it's his first day of work ever then he still gets paid prevailing wage as an electrician. There are two guys that don't don't get electrican wages and that's a laborer and management.

Were you considered management as a non tool wearing supervisor? Running a job doesn't get you prevailing wage either but doing electrical work does.

Edit: I have collected prevailing wage as a working foreman. Had tools on and ran conduit. If I had sat in the trailer with a clipboard then no. Paperwork is not electrical work.

Growler knows of what he speaks!!

fbhwt

Occupation

understood,I have always worked my tools,never had enough men or time to just sit and watch, I'm not sure where his getting his information,I saw the wage determination for this job,it says nothing about helper but does refer to apprentices being in an apprenticeship program registered with the DOL,employment and training administration,bureau of apprenticeship and training,or with a state apprenticeship agency recognized by the bureau.Word I heard was he is telling everyone if they don't have a license they don't get prevailing wage.

iMuse97

understood,I have always worked my tools,never had enough men or time to just sit and watch, I'm not sure where his getting his information,I saw the wage determination for this job,it says nothing about helper but does refer to apprentices being in an apprenticeship program registered with the DOL,employment and training administration,bureau of apprenticeship and training,or with a state apprenticeship agency recognized by the bureau.Word I heard was he is telling everyone if they don't have a license they don't get prevailing wage.
They are absolutely wrong. If you do the job, you get the pay. period. no questions. go directly to Dep't of Labor, et al. and get someone to go after your money for you.

iMuse97

Most working foremen I know spend a good bit of time with a clipboard, and supervising, and ordering and staging materials, and at most, a few hours per day with tools. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.