DC Power vs AC Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think it's just incorrect units on the specs. 12V 100AH battery is nominally 1200 watt hours. So they said 1200watt when they meant 1200 watt-hours. If it can run for up to 20 hours then average power consumption is around 60 watts, 5 amps. Which makes sense.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If the unit will operate for 20 hours on a 100 Ah battery, then it can be consuming no more than 5A on average.

It is plausible that the unit draws 20A when running, with a duty cycle of 25%, and pumps 1200W of heat when running.

However, honestly, the specs are simply unclear. 1200W of electrical consumption would drain a perfect 12V 100Ah battery in 1 hour, and a real battery in 15 to 30 minutes.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
If the unit will operate for 20 hours on a 100 Ah battery, then it can be consuming no more than 5A on average.

It is plausible that the unit draws 20A when running, with a duty cycle of 25%, and pumps 1200W of heat when running.

However, honestly, the specs are simply unclear. 1200W of electrical consumption would drain a perfect 12V 100Ah battery in 1 hour, and a real battery in 15 to 30 minutes.
My motor home with a house battery rated 12 volt 100 AH draws approx 30 Amp. is designed to run the freezer.
Theoretically it will run 3hours continuously.
When travelling-- that normally takes 5 to 6 hours, it runs on battery 100%.

The burden on the battery to run the freezer / ref is continuum on hot weather—but this freezer / ref works on the principles of ABSORPTION thermal transfer.
The cooling works on electric heating element instead of compressor. Some localities forbid running gas heater when travelling—more so when pulling into a gas station.

Because the battery receives a charge when travelling (engine running) – it is charged at the same time it is being discharged.

Sort of achieving EQUILIBRIUM.

When camping in a primitive website (no hookups) -my SOLAR panels takes over the job of recharging..
So now—I’m a HAPPY CAMPER.

Agreed, 1200 Watts is ecstacy, floating in cloud nine. :)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi all,

Is there a difference between DC Power and AC Power?

For example, a DC appliance of 1200 Watt is that the same power as an AC appliance of 1200 Watt?

Why am I asking?

I've seen an DC Freezer 12/24 volt but 1200Watt. They claim it can be used in Off Grid situations.
But wowwww 1200 Watt for a freezer isn't that huge ?

I see AC Freezer from 300 to 700Watt

Why should you use an 1200 Watt 12V Freezer?

Thx

Regards

Ben
Is this the one you are looking at?

It says "Power: 95 watt"

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I just don't understand the specs of this product. They claim its 1200 watt but they also claim it will run for 20 hours on a 12v 100ah battery. How is that possible?
There may be a problem with the spec. Maybe something got lost in the translation. At 1,200W and 12V that's a lot of current to be pulling from a 100Ahr battery. It's doubtful that a 100Ahr battery discharged at a C/1 rate would last anywhere close to an hour. As for running for "about" 20 hours that is simply an estimate based on the average load in the battery by the refrigerator, it's not running at full power for the whole time. My experience with portable and off-grid refrigerators is that the manufacturers tend to be overly optimistic in their estimates to sell the product. So take it all with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.