De-classify Class1, Div2 using LEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to de-classify a Class 1 Div 2 area by using an LEL monitor? I've never heard of this being done, nor have I found any reference to it anywhere else but, it seems to me like it would work.

I could tie the alarm contact from the LEL to a shunt-trip-breaker to cut power to everything in the area (except the LEL monitor of course, which would be wired for Class 1 Div 1).

Is there precedence for doing something like this? My application is a bottle filling line, the flammable element is acetone.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
LEL = Lower Explosive Limit

It is a recognized protection technique under “Combustible Gas Detection System” with certain very specific conditions. See 500.7(K).

Edit Add: The process you have described is not one of the "very specific conditions."

Last edited:
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for... I guess I just never put 2 and 2 together before (my head and section 500.7).

megloff11x

I've used fume sensors in machines before but I'm not sure how they jibe with the current code. They would cut power when they detected fumes through the usual contactor scheme.

hazardous locations are tough. The gas stations seem to have the edge because there's enough volume to justify the testing hoops. Everyone else pays...

Matt

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
megloff11x said:
I've used fume sensors in machines before but I'm not sure how they jibe with the current code. They would cut power when they detected fumes through the usual contactor scheme.

hazardous locations are tough. The gas stations seem to have the edge because there's enough volume to justify the testing hoops. Everyone else pays...

Matt
Combustible Gas Detection Systems were not recognized as a protection technique before the 2002 NEC. Even now they have limited application.

Edit - corrected NEC edition reference (2002 rather than 2005)

Last edited:

megloff11x

rbalex said:
Combustible Gas Detection Systems were not recognized as a protection technique before the 2002 NEC. Even now they have limited application.

Edit - corrected NEC edition reference (2002 rather than 2005)

This doesn't surprise me. They were installed on machinery that was approved. There were other systems in place as well. To me they were "Fred Flintstone brakes" in that if the real brakes failed, they weren't going to save you either.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.