Deactivating flourescent fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I'm involved in a project at a warehouse, where they are going to build a large interior freezer box, nearly wall to wall, floor to ceiling. New fluorescent fixtures will need to be installed suspended from the ceiling of the box, no problem. Question relates to what to do with the old fixtures, will be about a foot over the roof of this freezer and so rendered completly useless.
I do not think the owner is interested in recovering and recycling those fixtures. I am proposing simply to have the bulbs removed from fixtures to be deactivated. Should I also call for removal of ballasts?
I should mention that some lights on those circuits are not over the freezer and need to be kept in service.
thanks!

Volta

Hi,
I'm involved in a project at a warehouse, where they are going to build a large interior freezer box, nearly wall to wall, floor to ceiling. New fluorescent fixtures will need to be installed suspended from the ceiling of the box, no problem. Question relates to what to do with the old fixtures, will be about a foot over the roof of this freezer and so rendered completly useless.
I do not think the owner is interested in recovering and recycling those fixtures. I am proposing simply to have the bulbs removed from fixtures to be deactivated. Should I also call for removal of ballasts?
I should mention that some lights on those circuits are not over the freezer and need to be kept in service.
thanks!

I would suggest at least disconnecting the ballasts, so as to reduce the chance of a future problem on the circuit, and wasting power. If they are marked 'No PCB's", I would leave them in place, if not, I would urge the owner to allow proper disposal for proper compensation, though would not require such.

kwired

Electron manager
Will you still have access to connections in these fixtures?

If other fixtures feed through the discontinued fixtures I would remove them and install raceway or cable with no access points above the freezer.

If the feed to discontinued fixtures can be disconnected and no other loads are with this feed then abandon them in place if that is what owner wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.