Dear Lawd -- Did you see THIS? (2 Port 5-15P 120V 15 Amp 3 Prong Plug Male to 14-50R 120/240V 30Amp 4 Prong Female Receptacle Y Combiner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I posted a question asking if it is UL listed and whether it can be used and still meet NEC requirements. I know the answer, I just want to see them respond to it...

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Depends on the pay and the day
How are they getting 240V? Are they assuming everyone has 2- 120v receptacles on different phases right next to each other?
I suppose that would 240V, 15 Amps each side.

Or if the same phase -- 120V, 30 Amps (adding the sort of parallel 15 amp circuits together).

But it IS a pretty Yellow -- so that part looks good. (dear lawd, again).

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
How are they getting 240V? Are they assuming everyone has 2- 120v receptacles on different phases right next to each other?
I'm assuming since they say "Generator/Welder" in the description, that they are planning on folks using it on welders or generators that have a double duplex on the front panel, each of which is a typically different phase, so it would actually give you what you need. If the generator has a 14-50R on the front panel....it's wired exactly the same behind the panel so....I'm not sure what the big hoopla is about this.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Folks are getting these to plug Level 2 (240V, 30 Amp) EV chargers in to household circuits . . . .

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Well there you go. We should take their EVs and THEM and dump both in the ocean.

[/thread]
(laughing -- thanks, I could use that today)

For upfront disclosure -- I have a Volt -- and use it to run site-recons, service, etc. That is a (now discontinued) Chevy Hatchback that is BOTH Electric Plug-in (40 mile pre-charge) and then a gasoline generator takes over for another 300 miles on a 8 gallon tank.

Anyway -- have done a LOT of Tesla work -- and those are some pretty slick machines. And in the rest of the non-Texoma World (that would be Texas-Oklahoma for other US folks) . . . . folks are shifting towards EVs. And (all) Electric Appliances. And Solar PV to run the whole mess. Just the trend lines. That said, I know some Amish folks who still use horses. So do what works for you.

But this is heading towards some screwy stuff and hacks along the way. Obviously -- at least obvious to me -- EVERYONE should have or plan on (at least) a 200 Amp, outdoor disconnect (2020 code) single phase C/B panel with space and planning (and smurf tube to the attic) for EV Chargers, Electric Heat and Air, Solar PV, and the current fads -- and maybe some minor UPS-Battery options and generator tie-in. Folks do not have to put all that in -- but a 42 Circuit 200 Amp panel -- is pretty damn cheap -- and allows folks to add without doing crazy sheet like this.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I posted a question asking if it is UL listed and whether it can be used and still meet NEC requirements. I know the answer, I just want to see them respond to it...
I looked and don't see such a question. I think it either did not get posted yet or got deleted.

I posted a one star review. I wonder if it shows up or is deleted.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
For maybe about 5 or 10 seconds -- depending on the trip time of the breakers? ;P
it might take quite a while for the trip to happen. If I understand it, the 30 A version only uses 24 Amps max.

This is for a QOU breaker. Probably most are very similar. 125% of 20 Amps is 25 Amps. So it might never trip.

10,000 seconds is almost 3 hours.

1659045761228.png

4x4dually

Occupation
Why so hostile to the future? Gas cars are slowly on their way out.

Cheers, Wayne
Don't even get me started, Wayne. I'll get banned for derailment. When all the electric vehicles get charged 100% from Solar or wind, then maybe they will take a step toward lowering the carbon footprint. Until then, it's absolutely nothing shy of total hypocrisy. $.02

Moving along....

Phil Timmons

Occupation
it might take quite a while for the trip to happen. If I understand it, the 30 A version only uses 24 Amps max.

This is for a QOU breaker. Probably most are very similar. 125% of 20 Amps is 25 Amps. So it might never trip.

10,000 seconds is almost 3 hours.

View attachment 2561523
Perfect. This should allow the cord and plug to brown and toast very nicely . . . . ;P

I think the industry creates about 1/2 the service and repair business for us.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Why so hostile to the future? Gas cars are slowly on their way out.

Cheers, Wayne
Because . . . . Oklahoma. You would have to be around this to understand how funny it is.

It is funny, and it is Oklahoma. ;P

But if you want to insist on sensible and real -- there is this >>>

4x4dually

Occupation
It is funny, and it is Oklahoma. ;P

But if you want to insist on sensible and real -- there is this >>>
You want to really pi$$ me off? Bring up those big, hypocritic things that are eating up the landscape around here...leaking oil down the risers into the farm ground. Work 20 years buying 160 acres to build a home, live, work, and die on....then these big pieces of S(*$ show up and now everyone gets to look at them every day...and their damned blinking little red lights all in harmony every night. Screw them stupid white things. No wind, no power. Too much wind, no power. Half of them are turning most of the time. It takes more energy to produce one of them than that turbine will ever produce. Mark my words. In 20 years from now, they will all be ran down, out of commission, and left in the air to root in people's fields. People buying into this "free money" are going to get the biggest "I told you so" ever.

All the people in big cities are the ones using most of that power yet they are the ones who don't have to deal with them. Put these big wind farms in their yards and I bet they change their tunes.

I've got to stop. I'm getting mad. Later. ;)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For maybe about 5 or 10 seconds -- depending on the trip time of the breakers? ;P
If the receptacles are on 20A circuits then an EV or dryer on a 30A plug might continuously pull 24-26A without ever tripping. But if either receptacle is on a 15A breaker it will probably trip at less than 5 mins at such amps. In the latter situation you might get away with it for a welder or other power tool that you don't run at full amps for 5 mins.

Problem is, the product shown actually has a 50A plug. A Tesla or other plug-in EV charger will think that it can draw at least 32 if not 40A on that. The latter should trip in a matter of seconds.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
If the receptacles are on 20A circuits then an EV or dryer on a 30A plug might continuously pull 24-26A without ever tripping. But if either receptacle is on a 15A breaker it will probably trip at less than 5 mins at such amps. In the latter situation you might get away with it for a welder or other power tool that you don't run at full amps for 5 mins.

Problem is, the product shown actually has a 50A plug. A Tesla or other plug-in EV charger will think that it can draw at least 32 if not 40A on that. The latter should trip in a matter of seconds.
Well considering they probably just take your money and never really send anything . . . that is just about perfect.

No dangerous product, AND no money. That way we can stop being stupid with our money, because it is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.