Debating of ductbanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Figure 310.60 and its related tables gives ampacities based on the number of circuits being run in a MV ductbank. To my knowledge there is no equivalent to that for Low voltage. Is that accurate. If not, how is it covered?

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
No low voltage cable in ductbank table it is in art.310 [only for more than 2000 V rated].
Let's take Detail 3 [6 ducts 3 CABLES/DUCT] cable 750 mcm copper 90 oC I[A]=365 A
In Annex B [for information] Table B.310.15(B)(2)(7) detail 3
[6 ducts 3 CABLES/DUCT] cable 750 mcm copper 75 oC I[A]=330 A.
The explanation is simple: conductor maximum temperature it is only 75oC while in 2-5 kV case it is 90oC:slaphead:

ron

As pointed out, the LV tables are in Annex B, but Annex B is not enforceable.

If you were just taking the prescriptive information from the code, what code requirement would make you derate a LV ductbank? The MV ductbank tables are right there in 310, so that is clear that you need to follow, but I don't know of a claer path for derating the LV ductbanks.

It is not obvious to a reader that an UG ductbank would perform any different than a trapeze mounted ductbank or one installed in a wall cavity.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
Referring to derating of cable in duct bank ampacity :
According to NEC 2017 Art.310.60 (C) Tables.
Informational Note No. 1: For ampacities calculated in accordance
with 310.60(A), reference IEEE 835-1994, Standard Power Cable Ampacity Tables, and the references therein for availability of all factors and constants.
IEEE 835/1994
3.4 Adjustments for change in parameter
3.4.1 Adjust for changes in ambient temperature
Ampacities may be corrected for different ambient temperatures using the following equation:
I'=√[(Tc-Ta')/(Tc-Ta)]
3.4.2 Adjustment for change in maximum conductor temperature or temperature due to dielectric loss
I'=√ [(Tc'-Ta-∆T'd)/(Tc-Ta-∆Td)*(τc+Tc)/(τc+T'c)]-for copper conductor τc=234.5 for aluminum 228.
NEC 2017 Art. 310.60(B) Informational Note: The dielectric loss temperature rise (ΔTd )
is negligible for single circuit extruded dielectric cables rated below 46 kV.
No adjustment recommended for more than 3 conductors per duct.

Status
Not open for further replies.