Deck Rail LED Lighting

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a deck cable rail that needs to be lit. I'm thinking of a waterproof LED strip within a metal mounting channel with a lens mounted to the underside of the white top rail on the inside of the rail (see photo). It would be mounted against the metal intermediate rail (second photo). There are literally thousands of different LED strips lights from cheap to expensive. I'm assuming that some of the very cheap ones don't really last very long. Are there any quality brands out that that someone has used and can recommend? I was looking at Aspect LED which come with a 3 year warranty but I can't find many reviews of their products.
Cable Rail 001.jpg Cable Rail 002.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So follow up question. The wiring will be attached to the underside of the deck and run up the deck posts. What type of cable would you run under the deck?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah I was considering LV landscape lighting cable. Any prohibition to running that exposed?

garbo

Side note on the great looking cable wall.Recently heard that one town or city will not allowed them to be installed after a child climbed up on one and fell over the railing and down onto steps believe requiring a visit to the ER.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Side note on the great looking cable wall.Recently heard that one town or city will not allowed them to be installed after a child climbed up on one and fell over the railing and down onto steps believe requiring a visit to the ER.
For years it was in the building code that you could not use a climbable railing system on a deck but those restrictions have been removed. They may exist in some local codes but for the most part they're now permitted.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
my moms insurance canceled her, apartments insurance cause of those type of rails same thing you said.