Dedicated Equipment Space 110.26 (F) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spsnyder

I have a situation where I would like to put an equipment mounting board on a wall above a 6 inch deep x 16.5" high ledge. I will have several control panels, starters, and a panelboard on the mounting board. Does the wall ledge below the equipment violate 110.26 (F) (1)?

To explain my situation further, starting at the floor, the wall goes 16.5" high and then "bumps" in 6 inches and then continues to the ceiling ~12' above floor. I hope that makes sence. Thank you for your help.

laidman

Re: Dedicated Equipment Space 110.26 (F) (1)

110.26(E)(3)states that no equipment shall extend more than 6" in front of the electrical equipment. Since your ledge is only 6" deep it would not extend out farther than 6". I would say you are alright.

[ March 17, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: laidman ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Yes, I think that installation would be in violation of 110.26(F)(1).

Don

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Is an irregularity in a wall surface a foreign system?

spsnyder

My feeling was that the wall would not be concidered "...piping, ducts, or equipment foreign to the electrical installation..." It seems to me the intent of the dedicated eq. space is to protect the equipment from "...condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems..." Actually in 1999, 110.26 (F) (1) (b) Foreign Systems, it says the "zone shall extend from the top of the eq. to the structural ceiling."

This may all be a mute point. From a construction point of view, would it make more sense to build the wall out flush to the ledge to avoid bending all of the conduits around the ledge to penetrate the floor?

Thanks again for your help.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Ah! Now that's a practical approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.