Dedicated load centers for dwelling units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkaz

I am the Electrical Engineer working on the design for a multifamily residential living facility (ILF). The occupancy is classified as Residential Board and Care by NFPA 101. It contains 48 living units (4 Floors with 12 units per floor) each with permanent cooking facilities and bathrooms. Thus, I believe each would be classified as a dwelling unit per the NEC. None of the units are desired to be individually meterred as the management includes the energy costs in their rent.

Is there any NEC requirement that mandates that I have a loadcenter or panelboard dedicated to each? I would like to homerun the NEC required branch circuits for each dwelling unit to a centralized panelboard located in the common area of each floor. All branch circuits will be dedicated to each dwelling unit.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't think there are any NEC requirements against what you propose.

However, the International Energy Conservation Code requires dwelling units to be separately metered. (I don't know if the IECC is enforced in your area. And I don't know if what you have qualifies a dwelling units under the IECC. But it's something to look at.)

Also, I would contact your Power Company or electric utility. I have heard horror stories about projects that were intended to have a single meter, and the POCO insisted regulations require separate meters. In particular, I know of one new apartment building where the electrical distribuition had to be completely reworked at the end of the project to accomodate multiple meters.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Take a look at 240.24(B). I don't think it prohibits what you are describing. But it does impose some restrictions.

That said, I suggest you rethink your plan, and discuss it with the owner. I wouldn't want to live in a building that had that type of distribution. The section I cited requires each occupant to have ready access to the overcurrent devices protecting circuits in their unit (unless the management wants to pay someone to be on site 24-7-365). A panel in a common hallway can be considered ready access. But it is also just as readily accessible to all the other tenants, and to anyone who has reason to be in the building. I can imagine two residents having an argument, after which one turns off the circuits to the other's unit, just for spite.

raider1

Staff member
However, the International Energy Conservation Code requires dwelling units to be separately metered.

Steve

Could you give me an IECC section number for that requirement.

As far as the OPer's question, I think that from an NEC perspective what is being proposed is compliant provided that the tenants have access to the overcurrent devices for their dwelling units in accordance with 240.24(B).

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.