dedicated washer machine receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
By the definition, you are absolutely right in saying that washing machines are not continuous loads. I look at this situation a little differently though. The only time, with rare exceptions, that you would even have two washers to put on the same circuit would be in a commercial laundromat or apartment complex laundry room setting. In these settings, it would be obviously impossible for a washer motor to run for at least three hours straight without interruption, due to the fact that the machines' washing cycles would be shorter then that period of time. What does seem probable, however, is that these machines could be run for eight or ten hours straight with only 3 to 4 min shutdowns for a new load to be thrown in. For my money, that is close enough to a continuous load to warrant 1 extra 20A breaker and homerun. Certainly not code requirement for a dedicated homerun, but certainly good practice IMHO.

This is is where I'm with you.
Those hotels do fill up and laundry has to be a non-stop full days job. That's why I feel a couple second delay between cycles or few minutes between loads shouldn't count against continuous load, at least in a hotel situation or commercial laundering company.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
That's why I feel a couple second delay between cycles or few minutes between loads shouldn't count against continuous load

But it does. The definition of a continuous load is plain as day. If it makes people feel good to go above and beyond that's fine with me as long as nobody's trying to make the code say something it doesn't. The NEC is fudged up enough as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenman215

But it does. The definition of a continuous load is plain as day. If it makes people feel good to go above and beyond that's fine with me as long as nobody's trying to make the code say something it doesn't. The NEC is fudged up enough as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that anyone is trying to make the code say anything different. The definition, as you say, is clear as day. I think that those of us that choose to go above and beyond are considering what the intent of codes written in regards of continuous loads are. And for those of us who would run separate circuits for multiple washers in a commercial/hotel setting, machines operating for 2 hours and 55 minutes of that 3 hour threshold is close enough. There are plenty of things that the majority of us to go above and beyond, I think, but for me, running independent home runs doesn't seem that far up or that far away from code requires.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have no problem w/ running a second circuit, however I also believe that even if they are running back to back w/ only a brief unload/load period, they don't pull anywhere near full load all the time.

Another reason they should have a second circuit is even if the machines only pull 10 amps now, what new machines will come down the pike later when these wear out?

kenman215

I have no problem w/ running a second circuit, however I also believe that even if they are running back to back w/ only a brief unload/load period, they don't pull anywhere near full load all the time.

Another reason they should have a second circuit is even if the machines only pull 10 amps now, what new machines will come down the pike later when these wear out?

Fair points sir.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This is is where I'm with you.
Those hotels do fill up and laundry has to be a non-stop full days job. That's why I feel a couple second delay between cycles or few minutes between loads shouldn't count against continuous load, at least in a hotel situation or commercial laundering company.

But when the machine stops to fill with water? Drains via 80 watt shadded pole motor? The current is far from the listed amps continuously.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

One that pulls 5 amps. Appliances are pulling less current then before. Only catch are front load washers with heaters at 12 amps.

kwired

Electron manager
I have to agree with some others, unless it has a heater, most pull less currentthen ever before. But even those with heater are also supposed to be water efficient - which means water heating wouldn't take nearly as long as the old fashioned top loaders that filled with 20-30 gallons of water. Most only use 2-5 gallons of water at the most I think.

The motor has it's highest load during spin cycles, and even that will vary depending on what is being washed. As water is extracted from the clothes, the power required to maintain spin momentum will drop some as well.

JFletcher

If these are commercial/industrial machines for their main laundry, they are going to be 3phase and probably hardwired. Guest/coin operated laundry would be like what you have at your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.