Deep Concrete Wall

2Broke2Sleep

So I'm trying to run some new LV cable through some concrete that far exceeds my chipping hammer bits. I am running power for both a ring doorbell and a doorstop/buzzer. Ive never had too much concrete I couldn't just drill back to back through. I think if I found a long masonry bit I could probably find my way out through but if not I was looking for suggestions. I'm assuming it's block, it's got a popcorn like finish. Very expensive house. I was thinking I may have to cut a channel out but I really want to avoid that as the finish may not match when repaired. I guess the last option would be to surface mount conduit a good part of the way but, this is a very expensive house and the budget for this is pretty much unlimited......
I don't have exact measurements on hand but I remember it being a couple feet at least

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So I'm trying to run some new LV cable through some concrete that far exceeds my chipping hammer bits. I am running power for both a ring doorbell and a doorstop/buzzer. Ive never had too much concrete I couldn't just drill back to back through. I think if I found a long masonry bit I could probably find my way out through but if not I was looking for suggestions. I'm assuming it's block, it's got a popcorn like finish. Very expensive house. I was thinking I may have to cut a channel out but I really want to avoid that as the finish may not match when repaired. I guess the last option would be to surface mount conduit a good part of the way but, this is a very expensive house and the budget for this is pretty much unlimited......
I don't have exact measurements on hand but I remember it being a couple feet at least
36" masonry bits are pretty common. Just be careful of blowout when it goes through.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Check with you drill mfgr and see if they make extensions for It. I have a couple that are probably 18 inches long I got from harbor freight but they are just a hex shank not for any specific drill.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Try to get a measurement of how deep the wall is. Mark your bit a little shy of the depth. When you reach that mark, switch your drill to drill only, no hammer. This will help with blow out on the wall when the bit comes through.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Try to get a measurement of how deep the wall is. Mark your bit a little shy of the depth. When you reach that mark, switch your drill to drill only, no hammer. This will help with blow out on the wall when the bit comes through.
If you have a teensy-weensy bit that will reach all the way through, use that bit to make the final blow out. Then complete the hole from the other side.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Had no choice but to drill from outside in at a commercial space where the concrete was also their interior wall finish in a conspicuous area. Because they wouldn't allow drilling noise inside and I didn't want excessive blow out I took a small piece of plywood and braced it against the wall with 2x4's bowed against a nearby column and drilled right into the ply blind. Worked well. If the wall had an applied masonry finish I suppose I could have sandwiched some hard rubber plumbing sheet anything else that would help conform.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
They make core bits that fit into a 1/2" drill. The blowout is minimal because of the quality of the bit and you don't use the drill on hammer. This could be an option.