Definition- Cold Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Anyone ever come across the expression "cold feed" when referring to a feeder? If so what does that mean/refer to? Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The backup feeder in a redundant feeder scenario?

Think industrial plant that has two sources of incoming utility power but stays on one continuously (the 'main' source) and only switches to the other for certain situations, such as an outage or 'main' is down for adjustment and/or maintenance.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is a practice in some circles, rarer now, of referring to "line and neutral" as "hot and cold". Lots of people still use the term "hot" for a line, but I rarely hear the neutral referred to as a "cold" wire now. But when I started in the late 70s, that was more common. So someone might still be using that in that manner, especially if working with an MWBC. Still just a guess though.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Or is it "cold starve" and "fever feed?"
My sister, the nurse, once told me (decades ago) to put the two "F's" together, meaning "feed a fever." But I am not confident that this is good medical practice; it may be just a good mnemonic.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
My sister, the nurse, once told me (decades ago) to put the two "F's" together, meaning "feed a fever." But I am not confident that this is good medical practice; it may be just a good mnemonic.

Actually, it is best to not starve oneself ever, but especially when sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.