Definition of a crawlspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Wiggler

Where would I find a definition pertaining to "Crawlspaces"? I need to know what the "NEMA" rating would be as it pertains to boxes, gear, MC cable, etc. The question concerns some area that is subject to moisture.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where would I find a definition pertaining to "Crawlspaces"? I need to know what the "NEMA" rating would be as it pertains to boxes, gear, MC cable, etc. The question concerns some area that is subject to moisture.
There is no definition in the NEC pertaining to crawl spaces. If the question is moisture I would think that the AHJ would be able to make a decision as to that. Unfortunately the NEC is not much help.

gndrod

Crawl Space is used in reference to the GFCI [210.8(A)(4)] related requirement in a crawl space area "at or below grade level" in dwelling unit specified locations.

A reasonable definition can be found in the IRC N1102.1.7 building envelope insulation references involving R value requirements.

In IRC R408, crawl space is referenced as "under-floor space" (other than basements) and again is relevant to building envelope bottom joist to earth clearances. A definition may be a good idea for the 2014 NEC Proposals. (8j.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I may not be able to define "crawl space", but I know one when I see one. :cool:

I guess it's an unfinished space too low to finish and use as habitable space.

construct

Where would I find a definition pertaining to "Crawlspaces"?

I have not found a clear and concise definition for crawlspace either. The International Codes refer to them as "unhabitible under-floor spaces".

I don't if this will help, but the IBC and IRC allow you to have unvented crawlspaces if you put down a 6 mil vapor barrier, insulate the crawlspace walls, and condition the space; thereby mitigating the moisture problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, your saying if the ceiling is at 6'11" then it is a crawlspace.:D
Yes.
The International Codes refer to them as "unhabitible under-floor spaces".
That's why I say 'yes'. There's no rule that says you can't stand up in one.

I don't if this will help, but the IBC and IRC allow you to have unvented crawlspaces if you put down a 6 mil vapor barrier, insulate the crawlspace walls, and condition the space; thereby mitigating the moisture problem.
From what I've read, that's more energy-efficient than a ventilated space below an insulated floor.

mcclary's electrical

I have not found a clear and concise definition for crawlspace either. The International Codes refer to them as "unhabitible under-floor spaces".

unhabitable??? Tell that to the bums in Richmond!! I've found them living in crawlspaces before. The homeowners were not aware someone was sleeping under their house at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.