Definition of Low, Medium & High Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the voltage range for Low, Medium and High voltage? ie: 120V is low, 2400V is medium, but what are the defining parameters?

Thanks

[ September 19, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: DBrambrink ]

bphgravity

Re: Definition of Low, Medium & High Voltage

LV = 600V and under
MV = 601 - 15kV
HV = 15kV - 230kV
EHV = 230kV - 800kV
UHV = 801kV and over

jwelectric

Low in lower than the middle and the middle is between the low and high and high is higher than the middle.
:D :D :D

jwelectric

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Low in lower than the middle and the middle is between the low and high and high is higher than the middle.
:D :D :D
I have already told you the difference and in a way that can?t be debated. As a matter of fact the only way you will not find debate on.

328.2 Definition.
Medium Voltage Cable, Type MV. A single or multiconductor solid dielectric insulated cable rated 2001 volts or higher.
What if we are going to use a cable on a medium voltage?

iwire

Staff member

As you can see there is no one answer to this question.

It depends on what part of the industry you work in. :)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

I stand corrected, back in the old days we only had low, high, and extra high. From now on I will try to remember the IEEE Red book ratings.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Since no one else has stepped forward to defend the "other" point of view, I will make a poor attempt to do so. For those of us who deal with security, fire alarm, and communications systems (I do not include myself in the "us"), I thing that "Low Voltage" is 24 volts and below, and 120 volts is "high voltage."

Lesson Learned: Do not let casual, conversation use of the English language get in the way of correctly communicating a technical concept. When you use the terms "Low Voltage" and "High Voltage," take an extra moment to make sure that the other persons in the room are interpreting those phrases in the same way you intended to use them.

Thanks all! I see there is plenty of opportunity for the various "Standards" organizations to have lunch and work out some meaningful definitions.

Apparently there was more than one right answer to this question, depending upon the resource used as a reference, so for those of you whose brains are wired digital, rather than analog, please don't feel that your answers were incorrect.

Charlie b, you are "Right on"! <enter thumbs up icon... grumble, mumble, kick the dog - How does a newbie insert icons?> Taking the time to communicate clearly can minimizes costly rework and could also prevent an accident from causing injury to personnel and damage to equipment. Airline pilots have a rule - Business only below 10,000 feet.

JW - Good answers, I appreciate the humor. Relative reference answers are good in some situations, like when your wife asks you if her new dress makes her look fat. The wrong answer is "I think my pager is going off honey, I need to go to work...." <enter smiley icon - More grumble, mumble....>

[ September 19, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: DBrambrink ]

Status
Not open for further replies.