definition of subject to damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelco

Inspector rejected a new resi service.
Meter base is mounted on the side of the house that the drive way is and he said that is falls under 230.50. We have a steel mast and the service cable to the panel comes out of the bottom for about one foot exposed. I think that this is a streach to consider this subject to damage. If it were a commercial area where you have delivery trucks in and out all day I would tend to agree but a residential drive way??. Any solid definition of subject to damage

Shelco

bphgravity

Re: definition of subject to damage

Common sense usually prevails, but somtimes the issue from your perspective will be different than someone elses, including the inspectors. The best thing to do in these situations is to find out if there is anything you can do to protect or alter the equipment in place, at its current location. That way you at least don't have to relocate the whole installation.

charlie tuna

ten foot of three inch conduit cut in half and secured in the ground by ten bags of concrete--build a ballard to protect the installation from vehicles-------------- but the inspector has the final say as to what is subject to damage--it can happen--can't it?

benaround

Shelco,

I've heard of this more than a few times,I think the concern is someone hitting the meter with a car or truck.

frank

charlie

The thing I don't understand is that we will require our cash register to be protected if we feel like it is likely to be damaged. Why is the inspector doing our job? :confused:

redfish

The thing I don't understand is that we will require our cash register to be protected if we feel like it is likely to be damaged. Why is the inspector doing our job? </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps the AHJ is concerned that an injury or fatality could result if someone accidently damaged your cash register. :D</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

jwelectric

Originally posted by redfish:
The thing I don't understand is that we will require our cash register to be protected if we feel like it is likely to be damaged. Why is the inspector doing our job? </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps the AHJ is concerned that an injury or fatality could result if someone accidently damaged your cash register. :D</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
WHAT! Charlie is to kind hearted to hurt anyone, I Think :confused:

volt102

Look at the code article the inspector quoted (230.50). He/She is not conserned with the cash register being protected, 110.26(F)(2) does that. The inspector just wants the cable to be protected w/ rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, schedule 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or other approved means.

paul

Originally posted by volt102:
Look at the code article the inspector quoted (230.50). He/She is not conserned with the cash register being protected, 110.26(F)(2) does that. The inspector just wants the cable to be protected w/ rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, schedule 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or other approved means.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. If you put the cable in an LB or some sort of raceway, it should be good to go. As of now it's exposed. SE cable is all Greek to me, anyway. They don't allow the stuff out here.

stud696981

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it sounds like this was a new residence. If so, wasn't there plans and wasn't this specified on there.

If plans were submitted and approved for a permit the inspector is probably out of luck.

Around here unless there is an actual violation and NOT something subject to "his interpretation" like this, the inspector is stuck passing this since it was on the plans and his office approved them.

allenwayne

If plans were submitted and approved for a permit the inspector is probably out of luck.

Around here unless there is an actual violation and NOT something subject to "his interpretation" like this, the inspector is stuck passing this since it was on the plans and his office approved them.

To me that has always been a pet peeve !!!
We submit plans for approval,electrical inspector #1 inspects said plan #2 approves said plan #3 We have to explain to customer, builder,GC that the recessed can in a 24 in deep closet can`t go there because of clearance to shelf :roll:

shelco

This is not a new residence. It was an upgrade to an old service. The original location could not be use because of obstructions that have risen over the years so it was move to the only acceptable spot,driveway side of house. It really isn't that big a deal I am just going to put a bollard there even though you would have to go out of your way to hit it.
Thanks for the input.
Shelco

be4jc

So what your saying is if the plan checker misses something that makes it OK!!!
Thats the craziest thing I've ever heard :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.