Delta Primary/Delta Star Secondary Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical E.I.T
Hello,

I need your thoughts on the delta/delta star arrangement.

I am working on a project where Primary Delta/Secondary Delta Star transformer is selected to drive a DC motor. Output from delta secondary is fed to master unit of the drive and o/p from star secondary is fed to slave unit. Also, master unit is feeding the field of the dc motor.

My question is why not to use just one secondary instead of 2 secondary windings? Is there any advantage having 2 secondary? I understand that different applications have different designs but curios to know why? I googled it for more information on such arrangements but couldn't find anything helpful.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

synchro

Occupation
EE
My question is why not to use just one secondary instead of 2 secondary windings? Is there any advantage having 2 secondary?
The voltages on the delta and wye secondary are 30 degrees apart from each other, and that allows the use of 12-pulse rectification to reduce the harmonic currents drawn by the primary and provide other benefits.
See the following document starting on page 14 which describes the advantages in your case:

https://library.e.abb.com/public/3fa7f536e3ee4c25837c3ae137ca397f/3ADW000533R0101 DCS880 12-pulse manual en a.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.