Delta to wye

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have an industrial customer who I am adding a sub-panel for. He often buys large equipment himself from a source we have used for years and I install and provide everything else.
The building has two services, one 480, one 208/120. Both are wye services. The equipment being fed is 30 KVA and rated for 200-240 volts.
We are running out of room so I am feed this panel from the 480 service through a transformer.
His supplier sent us a transformer listed for a delta primary and wye secondary. I know you can hook a wye source to the primary, but I am curious about whether I am connecting my secondary properly. Do I not have to bond from the 0(N) secondary terminal in the transformer to the grounding electrode conductor? In this case I have both a grounding conductor coming from the 480v feed, and I have solid building steel just a couple feet away.
Thanks!

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have an industrial customer who I am adding a sub-panel for. He often buys large equipment himself from a source we have used for years and I install and provide everything else.
The building has two services, one 480, one 208/120. Both are wye services. The equipment being fed is 30 KVA and rated for 200-240 volts.
We are running out of room so I am feed this panel from the 480 service through a transformer.
His supplier sent us a transformer listed for a delta primary and wye secondary. I know you can hook a wye source to the primary, but I am curious about whether I am connecting my secondary properly. Do I not have to bond from the 0(N) secondary terminal in the transformer to the grounding electrode conductor? In this case I have both a grounding conductor coming from the 480v feed, and I have solid building steel just a couple feet away.
Thanks!
Worth adding - the equipment is strictly 3-phase, but I would like the option to be able to run 110volt circuits out of this sub-panel. We oversized the transformer to allow for other loads to come out of this panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming the transformer is intended to be a 480-208Y/120 step down transformer and you are reverse wiring it, you do not connect anything to the XO terminal. You will have a 3 wire secondary with no provisions for any line to neutral loads. You will either have to provide ground detectors on the 208 secondary or make it a corner grounded system.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The devil.is in the details.
Are you going down from 480V?
What is the transformer wiring diagram?

Typically the secondary side of a transformer is isolated from the primary and so is considered a separately derived system (buck-boost connections are typical exceptions).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the secondary neutral should be connected to building steel, as long as it is in turn properly bonded.

The transformer should be 480D to 208Y/120. This will give you both 208v 3ph (and 1ph) and 120v 1ph.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
In this case I have both a grounding conductor coming from the 480v feed, and I have solid building steel just a couple feet away.
Thanks!
Yes equipment grounding conductor with 480V feeder then a grounding electrode conductor per 250.30(A)(5) to building steel and consider if there is a metal water pipe see 250.104(D)

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Assuming the transformer is intended to be a 480-208Y/120 step down transformer and you are reverse wiring it, you do not connect anything to the XO terminal. You will have a 3 wire secondary with no provisions for any line to neutral loads. You will either have to provide ground detectors on the 208 secondary or make it a corner grounded system.
Not reverse wiring it. I am feeding the primary from a 480v wye source. I am stepping down to 208/120V and intend for that that to be a wye connection so I can have a neutral present for 110v loads. At this time I'm not sure there will actually be any. But I want to be able to if the need arises. It seems per below responses that I am on the right track. Just wanted to get a second, (or more) opinion.

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the secondary neutral should be connected to building steel, as long as it is in turn properly bonded.

The transformer should be 480D to 208Y/120. This will give you both 208v 3ph (and 1ph) and 120v 1ph.
Thank you. I think this answers my question. I have certainly wired transformers many times in my 50 years or so in the business. I'm just not sure I've ever been handed a transformer that shows a delta primary and a wye secondary. The truth is - I may have, and just not really noticed it. But it made me question myself and I don't like to take chances with this type of installation. There's a butt-load of VERY expensive equipment being connected to this.

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks to all.
I believe I have confirmed what I thought I already knew. Just looking for a bit of assurance.
As I noted in a reply above - I have certainly wired transformers many times in my 50 years or so in the business. I'm just not sure I've ever been handed a transformer that shows a delta primary and a wye secondary. The truth is - I may have, and just not really noticed it. But it made me question myself and I don't like to take chances with this type of installation.
This is my first time on this forum, and I appreciate the quick and obviously knowledgeable replies. I have already bookmarked it for future reference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks to all.
I believe I have confirmed what I thought I already knew. Just looking for a bit of assurance.
As I noted in a reply above - I have certainly wired transformers many times in my 50 years or so in the business. I'm just not sure I've ever been handed a transformer that shows a delta primary and a wye secondary. The truth is - I may have, and just not really noticed it. But it made me question myself and I don't like to take chances with this type of installation.
This is my first time on this forum, and I appreciate the quick and obviously knowledgeable replies. I have already bookmarked it for future reference.
That is by far the most common configuration for a step down transformer.
Don't forget about the supply side bonding jumper and the grounding electrode system for the secondary side.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Delta-Wye transformers are probably far and away the most common configuration used for stepping down 480V, in non-utility applications. If you told me 75-80% I would believe you.

Twbaskin

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I looked last night for tech data on some transformers that I've hooked up. Two of them at this same business. They both were this same configuration. I just didn't ever notice it.
And after reading comments and thinking a bit more, it makes sense that the primary side doesn't really care whether or not the incoming line originates as a wye or a delta wired source. It is creating it's own derived voltage and system neutral. Regardless
Thanks again.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I looked last night for tech data on some transformers that I've hooked up. Two of them at this same business. They both were this same configuration. I just didn't ever notice it.
And after reading comments and thinking a bit more, it makes sense that the primary side doesn't really care whether or not the incoming line originates as a wye or a delta wired source. It is creating it's own derived voltage and system neutral. Regardless
Thanks again.
(y)