Delta wye

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakehult

Is it possible to get 3 phase 208 out of a delta wye system using a buck boost transformer while staying within code?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

What are you referring to as a delta wye system?

It is possible to buck 3 phase 240 volts to 208 volts.

Chris

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is it possible to get 3 phase 208 out of a delta wye system using a buck boost transformer while staying within code?
Chris questioned your post because typically when a transformer is called delta wye system, the primary windings are connected in a delta configuration while the secondary windings are connected in a wye configuration... and 208Y/120V 3? 4W is a wye configuration. The delta primary can be any 3? 3W (even 3W of 4W...) source. This is not a buck or booost scenario.

A quick consideration on my part says: you can use 3? buck transformers to drop, for example, 240/120 3? 4W (delta w/grounded midwinding tap) to 208Y/120... but the problem arises in grounding since this transformer scenario is essentially connecting three auto transformers in a wye fashion... and the primary is already grounded such that the grounded terminal/conductor have voltage to the system's neutral voltage... i.e. the midwinding grounding is a neutral only for that winding and not the entire 3? system. So under the NEC your output would be required to be grounded at the common point of the wye output and doing so will cause smoke to be released :roll::cool::roll::mad:;):D

Yet if you have an ungrounded 240V 3? 3W system, it would work.... but I reserve the right to retract later :D

I also welcome you to the forum(s).:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.