Dentist Office With Anesthetizing Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcghee

5000 SQFT dentist office, 2 dentist, non-flamable anesthesia on site, administered by the dentists only, is a generator or UPS required? What gets connected to the generator? The nitrous oxide is in a bottle.

I've got the emergency lighting covered, need help with Part IV of NEC 517.

Main question - is a generator required?

raider1

Staff member
No, a generator would not be required.

The anesthetizing location would required battery powered emergency lighting units in accordance with 517.63(A).

Also the receptacles installed in that area are required to be listed as hospital grade in accordance with 517.61(C)(2).

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No, a generator would not be required.

The anesthetizing location would required battery powered emergency lighting units in accordance with 517.63(A).

Also the receptacles installed in that area are required to be listed as hospital grade in accordance with 517.61(C)(2).

Chris

It seems like 517.45(C) could apply. So it seems to me that the requirement for a generator would depend on the level of care provided.

Keri_WW

The Navy requires all receptacles to be on emergency power in rooms where surgery may take place (oral or otherwise). If people are just being gassed due to dental anxiety then I wouldn't think there would need to be any kind of emergency power.

raider1

Staff member
It seems like 517.45(C) could apply. So it seems to me that the requirement for a generator would depend on the level of care provided.

I agree, but I don't think that the NEC specifically requires a dentist's facility to have an essential system, this would be a design issue.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree, but I don't think that the NEC specifically requires a dentist's facility to have an essential system, this would be a design issue.

Chris

Yes, I would agree it is a design issue. The designer should be working with the dentists to determine what level of care is provided (full blown surgery, or whatever). Then that would determine what level of emergency power is needed.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.