Derating conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny58

Why doesn't the code have the conduit fill table already derated ? What good is having all those size conductors listed on a chart if you cant use that chart ?Another way to ask would be , Why cant it be a chart telling you how many conductors you CAN ! put in a conduit ! instead of a chart telling me how many I cant put in a conduit ? I am not talking about ampacity That I get . Just talking about how many # 12s in say a 3/4 emt that is 10 ft. long ?

cadpoint

The NFPA doesn't have a table because for each size of conductor due to a size of different conduit's, raceways, paths; or because any combininations that needs to reflect a nearly infinite combinations of what and how a circuit is run! One would be looking at log-rythmes.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Cadpoint mentioned the variables are far too great to put all of the information in one table. A rule of thumb is that for #14,#12,#10 AWG conductors you can have 9 CCC's in a raceway before derating will affect their typical 15, 20 and 30 amp ampacities.

ohmhead

Derating

Derating

Well it would not be that much fun its a lot better to figure it all out the long way !

But then if you think about it what would Mike Holts do from now on !

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In addition to what has been posted already, not all conduits have power conductors that are subject to derating. I often install control conduits with over 100 #14s or 16s. The wire fill tables are needed for applications like that.

donny58

Think inside the box !

Think inside the box !

You Dont get it > If the code says 9 # 12 in a 1/2 in emt conduit and you have to derate 40% then why bother having a chart that says 9 conductors ! The chart should say 6 conductors , you savy ??

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You Dont get it > If the code says 9 # 12 in a 1/2 in emt conduit and you have to derate 40% then why bother having a chart that says 9 conductors ! The chart should say 6 conductors , you savy ??

The table is for percentage of conduit fill, not derating. In other words, you are only allowed to fill conduit to a certain percentage , eg,. 40%, 60% etc. The table is for the same size conductors in a raceway, that way you don't have to calculate the fill percentage, just use the table. They don't know what amperage you are needing to have after derating. Someone could already know they only need to achieve 15A after derating and are intentionally using the #12. Also probably not all the conductors are current carrying and wouldn't need derating. But in the conduit fill all conductors whether CC or not have to be counted.
I hope that helps and you are now "savy.":)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Where do you see that you have to derate 40%. The conduit fill is 40% but that is whenever you use 2 or more conductors. Derating is from Table 310.15 (B)(2) for the # of conductors in a conduit. 9 conductors gets derated 70% but that is not for conduit fill but rather for the ampacity of the conductor.

Take #6 thhn- Table 310.16 states that it is good for 75amps. Now if we have 9 #6 ccc in the conduit then we must derate the 75amps by 70%. Thus the wire (#6 THHN) is now only good for 52.5 amps.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are basically two things you need to know -- how many current carrying conductors can you use before derating has lowered ampacity too far (and this is 9 in sizes 14-12, 6 in #10, 8, 6, 4 but depends on what you consider a "normal" breaker for that wire size and whether you're rounding up to the next standard size). This number in independent of conduit size.

The other thing is how many conductors can you fit for fill.

It is too complicated to know which are current carrying and which are counted by fill in a simple chart. There could be equipment grounds, isolated grounds, neutrals that aren't considered current carrying, and neutrals that are.

Status
Not open for further replies.