derating factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
this is what i know but in a book i am reading[stallcups calcualation} it says 76
Perhaps an error. That is the ambient derating for a 90?C rated THWN-2 conductor.... or THWN correction based on 40?C [Table 310.15(B)(2)(b)]. For the latter, the uncorrected ampacity has to be based on 40?C... and there are no such ampacity tables in the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Perhaps an error. That is the ambient derating for a 90?C rated THWN-2 conductor.... or THWN correction based on 40?C [Table 310.15(B)(2)(b)]. For the latter, the uncorrected ampacity has to be based on 40?C... and there are no such ampacity tables in the NEC.
Actually there are...just not ones that we normally use. 310.15(B)18 through (B)21 are based on 40?C.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Actually there are...just not ones that we normally use. 310.15(B)18 through (B)21 are based on 40?C.
Actually there are more... the 310.60 tables.

I used Acrobat's search for 40?C before I made that statement... but after your post I remember copying "40?C" from Table 310.15(B)(2)(b)'s header. Analyzing what went wrong, I discovered the degree characters are not the same (? in ambient tables vs. ? in ampacity tables).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NEC 2011 has T. 310.15(B)(2)(b) that has the correction factors for 40C. That would be .76 at 75C column but I would expect that we would be using the 30C table

Status
Not open for further replies.