Derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Re: Derating

Contractor installed PVC under floor in exam room of medical building and for redundant grounding requirements---instead of breaking out the jackhammer he now wants to run MC(hospital grade) through the PVC to serve a floor recepticle for equiptment.

pete m.

Buck,

I agree with Pierre and Bphgravity that derating would not be an issue with the number of current carrying conductors but is it possible that this "hospital grade MC Cable" is actually AC cable?

If so, I do not see a similar provision to allow it to be installed in a raceway in article 320. Secondly if this PVC is installed in a slab (this being a wet location as defined in article 100) the AC cable, or MC cable for that matter unless 330.10(11) could be met, could not be used for the application.

Perhaps there is more to the story????? :eek:

pierre

330.10(11) In wet locations where any of the following conditions are met:
c. The insulated conductors under the metallic covering Are listed for use in wet locations.

That would be THHN/THWN type conductors

pete m.

I agree with you 100% Pierre. Most of the "hospital grade MC" I have seen is actually AC cable. I had a similar situation in a dentist office in which PVC was ran in the slab and a similar "fix" was proposed to satisfy 517.13 although the same problems I listed in my previous post existed. :)

buck

Great points guys. Also thought of how they would connect each end(to stay in compliance with redundant grounding) if run through PVC.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.