Design question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a hospital switchgear line up with a generator that has 2206 amp output at 120/208v, 3 ph. It is designed by an EE in California. He has me connecting 8, 4" conduits with 4, 600kcm in each. The splice box on the generator is about 18" square.

So, what I need is a cost effective design that I can present to the EE that will be installable. I can't get the 8, 4" conduits in the splice box let alone terminate 32, 600kcm copper conductors.

I suggested locomotive cable that would be far more flexible and easier to handle and had far greater current carrying capability, but it's not UL listed so the EE rejected my plan.

Does anyone out there have some ideas?

barbeer

I was going to say that the splice box must be 8xs the diameter of your 4"(32"sq?) but I noticed that you stated the splice box was part of the generator?. At that point it should not be governed by NEC if I recall correctly.

360Youth

Sight unseen I would say set a j-box at the generator. I have done similar setups in reverse order where generator fed two ATS and ran a single feed from generator to a j-box at the switch gear and then tapped off to each ATS.

barbeer said:
At that point it should not be governed by NEC if I recall correctly.
Seems to me there simply is no room.

iwire

Staff member
David Rogers said:
I suggested locomotive cable that would be far more flexible and easier to handle and had far greater current carrying capability, but it's not UL listed so the EE rejected my plan.

The EE is either mistaken or you specified the wrong cable, but you can certainly get UL listed locomotive cable.

However using those cables requires the correct types of terminals. Standard terminals are not listed for use with the fine strand cables.

thanks

thanks

iwire said:
The EE is either mistaken or you specified the wrong cable, but you can certainly get UL listed locomotive cable.

However using those cables requires the correct types of terminals. Standard terminals are not listed for use with the fine strand cables.

thanks for the info....I'll see if I can locate a manufacturer that supplies a UL listed cable.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why does this EE want that much conductor for a source that only provides 2206 amps? And on top of that, the connected load is probably no where near that.

Six sets of 500's would suffice unless a long distance and VD is being considered

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have had custom j-box extensions made for that type of application. I also have used custom bus bar within the j-box extension to provide the required termination space.
As far as the DLO, you need to find the dual listed type to comply with the NEC rules. It is listed as both DLO and RHH or RHW.

tyha

also, you can get the high voltage cable that the poco uses. The kind where you pull 5 sets of 600 mcm and they splice it to one set of their 4/0

Status
Not open for further replies.