detached garage minimum requirements

perl82480

Occupation
maintenance electrician
Hello,
looking to clear up some confusion with the code that I have. When wiring a detached garage and running a 3-wire 20-amp branch circuit to it, the requirements for circuits are to my understanding.
210.52(G) lists detached garages for the receptacle, Dedicated.
210.70(A)(2)(a) lists detached garages for an inside light
210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits
210.70(A)(2)(b) lists detached garages for an outside man door light
230.79(B) 2 circuit instillation 30-amp disconnecting means
I can run 2 20-amp circuits with a 30-amp disconnecting double pole switch at the point of entry into the garage. One circuit is for dedicated 20-amp rec. and the other can be used for lighting and GDO. Just making sure I'm not missing anything? The customer just wants the bare minimum on his rental property, to resupply power to the garage.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello,
looking to clear up some confusion with the code that I have. When wiring a detached garage and running a 3-wire 20-amp branch circuit to it, the requirements for circuits are to my understanding.
210.52(G) lists detached garages for the receptacle, Dedicated.
210.70(A)(2)(a) lists detached garages for an inside light
210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits
210.70(A)(2)(b) lists detached garages for an outside man door light
230.79(B) 2 circuit instillation 30-amp disconnecting means
I can run 2 20-amp circuits with a 30-amp disconnecting double pole switch at the point of entry into the garage. One circuit is for dedicated 20-amp rec. and the other can be used for lighting and GDO. Just making sure I'm not missing anything? The customer just wants the bare minimum on his rental property, to resupply power to the garage.
If you put the lighting on with the GDO, then you will have to put a GFCI receptacle on the wall, or a blank face GFCI. I wouldn't put the lights on with the GDO, they don't need to be GFCI protected.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
the AHJ here likes to invoke 230.79(D) for garages and sheds.

120 sq ft shed at church, for convienience had a 6 place panel in shed fed by 30A breaker with 10AWG in RMC with one 20A lighting circuit, one 20A GFCI outlet, and one 20A 240V outlet in the shed.

AHJ said needed 60A branch circuit feeder.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
the AHJ here likes to invoke 230.79(D) for garages and sheds.

120 sq ft shed at church, for convienience had a 6 place panel in shed fed by 30A breaker with 10AWG in RMC with one 20A lighting circuit, one 20A GFCI outlet, and one 20A 240V outlet in the shed.

AHJ said needed 60A branch circuit feeder.
You should point out to him that the rule says nothing about feeder size, it only says the disconnecting means be rated for 60A at a minimum. You could feed it with 20A if you want, just the disconnect has to be rated for 60A.

225.30 Is ridiculous. Why should I have to install a sub panel and re-establish grounding at the shed if I just want to install two circuits to my shed with separate neutrals? I hate multi wire branch circuits and never run them. It makes no sense. And what if I want a three way switch from my kitchen to the shed lights. Is that not permitted?