detached garage one circuit; grd rod, disconnect required ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
250.32A Exception. Allows you to not need a ground rod for a single circuit( or single MWBC) as long as you have an equipment grounding conductor in the conduit for a detached building.

As far as disconnecting means, I think you still need to have a disconnect. That can be a simple snap switch though. Someone else may chime in with more information on disconnect requirements.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
250.32A Exception. Allows you to not need a ground rod for a single circuit( or single MWBC) as long as you have an equipment grounding conductor in the conduit for a detached building.

As far as disconnecting means, I think you still need to have a disconnect. That can be a simple snap switch though. Someone else may chime in with more information on disconnect requirements.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I was thinking no rod and just a two pole switch inside the garage.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Correct. No ground rod and a snap switch as the disconnect for a single circuit or MWBC to the detached garage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the section

225.30 Number of Supplies. A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit. Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to the original building or structure, unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E).

Status
Not open for further replies.