Detatched garage and EVSE

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
I need some code section clarification on this. I have to give a new client a price on an EVSE in a detatched garage ( have no more info than that at this time).

It is my understanding of the 2020 code that I WILL need a sub panel capable of at least 70 amp. The garage will need the following circuits 1) 20 Amp for GFCI receptacles in each bay ( presume 2 car garage with a single 2 car wide door), 2) 15Amp lighting circuit, 3) 15 Amp door opener circuit, 4) 60 Amp ( 48 amp charger) EVSE circuit.

My interpretation of the code is that no only do I need the appropriate "single means of disconnect for all branch circuits, but that I will also have to then bring the garage to current code. Am I correct?

Any code sections that support or disprove me will be greatly appreciated.

Remember I have neither seen the job yet, nor contacted the local AHJ.

Thank you all

Howard

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The funny thing about detached garages is they are both a 'residential occupancy' while they are not 'dwelling unit'.
The outdoor feeder to a detached garage should have a ampacity of at least the calculated load per article 220.40.
You can use the minimum lighting load for a residential occupancy of 3VA per sq ft or the 125% of the connected lighting load. And 180VA per receptacle etc. Equipment like the charger EVSE would be per 220.14(K)

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
TY, got it on the load calculation! :) As the EVSE, is a separate branch, and the lighting door op and receptacles (at an existing minimum another), I WOULD need a subpanel with either a single main breaker, or less than 6 branch breakers, correct? My understanding for a detatched garage is 1 branch circuit or feeder to it with disconnecting means for all within the structure.

Howard

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yeah the main disconnect at the garage has to be at least 60 amps per 225.39
You can of course use a panel with a 100A main pre installed since the protection of the feeder will be at the house (70A or whatever you choose)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The garage will need the following circuits 1) 20 Amp for GFCI receptacles in each bay ( presume 2 car garage with a single 2 car wide door), 2) 15Amp lighting circuit, 3) 15 Amp door opener circuit, 4) 60 Amp ( 48 amp charger) EVSE circuit.
I would definitely choose a 100a feeder and panel based on this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did anyone do the actual load calculation for this garage? From a practical standpoint 60 amps is probably enough for the feeder.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Did anyone do the actual load calculation for this garage? From a practical standpoint 60 amps is probably enough for the feeder.
The EVSE alone requires 60A because it's continuous. So anything else makes it over 60. I believe the rest is just 3VA per sqft so likely under 10A, but maybe possibly it's a greater than 800sqft garage.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for all the input on this! :) Turns out all the client wants is a rough price, and MAYBE he is going to buy an EV!
What a "waste of time"!..... 60 ft 1" HW buried plus the #4 wont be cheap.

Anyway, again thank you to all for the help!

Howard

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Larry, great idea, but I dont think aluminum is allowed in most of the Chicago suburbs (which is where this job is). Also the 50+ ft of trenching even if I had the helper from the shop do it wont be cheap. I think this guy was looking for the $2000.00 or less job.....