determining the boundary's of a classified location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbwhite

one of the facilities that i work in has a huge room. 100 feet x 100 feet and 40 feet high.

inside this big room are two paint booths where they spray paint parts. and some conveyors for parts that have been painted. each booth has exhaust fans interlocked so that they cannot paint while the exhaust is off.

The facility wants us to move some fire alarm devices. I am saying that electric engineers need to determine the boundaries of the class locations before i do any work.

IMHO it is a contractors responsibility to know how to wire in various enviornments. but an engineere needs to determine the boundries.

am i right?

kiloamp7

Re: determining the boundary's of a classified location

Unless an NEC illustration makes it clear where the boundaries are, then we have an electrical engineer get with the fire chief to come to an agreement on where the boundaries are.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: determining the boundary's of a classified location

Article 516 gives some fairly specific direction with regard to spray painting applications. I didn't take note of anything in the OP that would lead me to believe that something other than 516 would need to be reviewed.

You are correct though that the classification must be properly documented. See 500.4(A).

Status
Not open for further replies.