Device approval; who/what/when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
I fully admit my Code knowledge would fit on the head of a 6-32 screw. I always ask someone who knows; & collectively, I elect you guys..

We'll need a 400A 3-ph breaker and also a 3-ph panel with ~5-8 various breakers; as well as several single-phase panels. I have an opportunity to get a main breaker and panel surplus from someone know who unbuilds comm sites.

How exactly do I discover if a given breaker is suitable/legal for our use? Is there some {secret?} master list of such by manufacturer & model? Or does the AHJ make that decision? Is there a "Approved in Peoria" sticker on the unit? What happens when it's no longer in production? Is there some specified lifetime?

I know that a "service rated" device is needed if it's the main; and not otherwise. We may end up with an ATS that is service rated, solving that. {Or conversely, a non-service rated ATS downstream of the rated main...} Beyond that, what holds forth on non-service gear?

The actual electrician on the job just knows that if he buys it from So & So, that's OK. Given the price for this gear, my client & I'd like to look past that option.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I fully admit my Code knowledge would fit on the head of a 6-32 screw. I always ask someone who knows; & collectively, I elect you guys..

We'll need a 400A 3-ph breaker and also a 3-ph panel with ~5-8 various breakers; as well as several single-phase panels. I have an opportunity to get a main breaker and panel surplus from someone know who unbuilds comm sites.

How exactly do I discover if a given breaker is suitable/legal for our use? Is there some {secret?} master list of such by manufacturer & model? Or does the AHJ make that decision? Is there a "Approved in Peoria" sticker on the unit? What happens when it's no longer in production? Is there some specified lifetime?

I know that a "service rated" device is needed if it's the main; and not otherwise. We may end up with an ATS that is service rated, solving that. {Or conversely, a non-service rated ATS downstream of the rated main...} Beyond that, what holds forth on non-service gear?

The actual electrician on the job just knows that if he buys it from So & So, that's OK. Given the price for this gear, my client & I'd like to look past that option.

Not exactly sure what you are asking here, but in GENERAL, a breaker that goes into a panel must have been listed by the panel manufacturer to be used with THAT SPECIFIC PANEL. So if you yank a 400A Sq. D breaker out of a salvage panel, the only place you can install it is in another panel that has been listed to hold THAT specific 400A breaker. Chances are about 99.99999999999% that it will have to be a Sq. D panel, as there is ZERO incentive for one mfr to list their panels to be used with someone else's breaker. They don't make money on panels, they sell the panels at a loss to get you to buy their breakers.

Then even if your salvage breaker is the same brand as your panel, there are also vintage issues. If the panel is a lot older or newer than the breaker, they may not be listed together. If they are the same brand, the local sales office of that brand should be able to tell you if you can use it, but don't expect them to be excited to help you use surplus gear, they make ZERO dollars on that scenario.

Then even if the mfr is the same and the vintages are compatible, there is the issue of whether or not your panel was designed to hold a 400A breaker at all! You didn't say, but suppose you have a 225A panel? There will not be any provisions in there for mounting a 400A breaker. Even if it's a 400A panel, some mfrs only allow you so many spaces capable of mounting larger frame breakers. it totally depends on the panel design.

By "service rated" I'm assuming you mean "Suitable for Use as Service Equipment", better known as a "SUSE" (Suzie) label. THAT is the exception, not the norm. If it DOESN'T have a SUSE label on it, it cannot be used as a service disconnect. And the SUSE label would be on the panels AND main breaker as a combination, not just the breaker or just the panel. So if you have a SUSE labeled ATS as the first landing from the utility, that satisfies the requirement. if the ATS is not SUSE labeled, the main device ahead of it must be. Something has to be, but only the first something (unless you re-establish a new service by feeding an out building under a certain set of circumstances, which is where the code knowledge comes to play).

Sometimes the best bet for someone who admits "my Code knowledge would fit on the head of a 6-32 screw" is to not try to get cheap with the equipment and get nailed by the AHJ. No hardware is more expensive than doing it twice, except doing it more than twice.

Last edited:

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
By "service rated" I'm assuming you mean "Suitable for Use as Service Equipment", better known as a "SUSE" (Suzie) label. THAT is the exception, not the norm. If it DOESN'T have a SUSE label on it, it cannot be used as a service disconnect. And the SUSE label would be on the panels AND main breaker as a combination, not just the breaker or just the panel. So if you have a SUSE labeled ATS as the first landing from the utility, that satisfies the requirement. if the ATS is not SUSE labeled, the main device ahead of it must be. Something has to be, but only the first something (unless you re-establish a new service by feeding an out building under a certain set of circumstances, which is where the code knowledge comes to play).
Sometimes the best bet for someone who admits "my Code knowledge would fit on the head of a 6-32 screw" is to not try to get cheap with the equipment and get nailed by the AHJ. No hardware is more expensive than doing it twice, except doing it more than twice.

And that is why I always ask many "dumb" questions first...in the spirit of "measure twice, cut once..." I learn lots from the replies to such....

As I tried to say, this is exploratory. If I were to get this, I'd be sure it was in its original panel, etc. He has a wide variety of such available; it was all first-class gear when installed so I think it worth looking into.

I will ask about Suzie labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.