Device seal with tray cable. Needed or not?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
The device says to seal conduit at enclosure wall but since it’s just cable and a gland is a seal still needed?

Attachments

• 563CE55A-E430-4728-90B8-282B2588C2E8.jpeg
    563CE55A-E430-4728-90B8-282B2588C2E8.jpeg
    823.9 KB · Views: 16

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Ran out of edit time. Been a while since I posted. But anyhow the cable glands are rated for class 1 div2 location. Just some info I thought was needed for the post.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What type of cable?

Odds are you need to seal per Section 501.15(E), specifically Subsections (1) and (3). Take note that the switch enclosure is required to be explosionproof.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
What type of cable?

Odds are you need to seal per Section 501.15(E), specifically Subsections (1) and (3). Take note that the switch enclosure is required to be explosionproof.
Cable is Belden 28082A. 4c #14 no shield.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Yet the enclosure is marked 4X and not 7?
Good point, nevertheless it is also marked “Class I Div 1…” and a 4X alone isn’t suitable. It also warns to not open when an explosive atmosphere is present. Section 501.115 requires the enclosure to be identified for Class I Division 1. Now the FM marking may be sufficient for that, but the enclosure is obviously explosionproof by design (that’s what is says in nameplate title: ROSEMONT 2120 Explosionproof vibrating fork level switch)

All that said, my previous statement is still correct - unless the device also indicates a factory seal.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
As I said, “…you need to seal per Section 501.15(E), specifically Subsections (1) and (3).” Use something like a TMCX gland.
The “upside” is the enclosure seal is the only one likely to be needed - even at the boundary. If the cable is in conduit in any part of the run it is treated as a single-conductor and doesn’t need to be “opened.”

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
As I said, “…you need to seal per Section 501.15(E), specifically Subsections (1) and (3).” Use something like a TMCX gland.
The “upside” is the enclosure seal is the only one likely to be needed - even at the boundary. If the cable is in conduit in any part of the run it is treated as a single-conductor and doesn’t need to be “opened.”
We used standard crouse hinds EYSX seals. Engineering firm didn’t wanna pay for us to pour the seals because they said they weren’t needed because their glands are rated class1 div2.

Device, Union, seal, then cable gland to open air tray cable is how they are installed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
We used standard crouse hinds EYSX seals. Engineering firm didn’t wanna pay for us to pour the seals because they said they weren’t needed because their glands are rated class1 div2.

Device, Union, seal, then cable gland to open air tray cable is how they are installed.
Sounds like you’re closing the barn door after the horses escaped.

An EYS is fine to seal raceway, but not necessarily a multiconductor cable in the raceway. Multiconductor cables must still be sealed per 501.15 (E)(1). See the second paragraph especially. An EYS can be made to work but opening the jacket to make sure the compound encloses the individual conductors AND the jacket is difficult. A simple gland, Cl I, Div 2 or not, won’t do the trick.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Sounds like you’re closing the barn door after the horses escaped.

An EYS is fine to seal raceway, but not necessarily a multiconductor cable in the raceway. Multiconductor cables must still be sealed per 501.15 (E)(1). See the second paragraph especially. An EYS can be made to work but opening the jacket to make sure the compound encloses the individual conductors AND the jacket is difficult. A simple gland, Cl I, Div 2 or not, won’t do the trick.
Totally understand and agree. Thank you.

quantum

This is a Type TC cable capable of transmitting gases or vapors and has a gas/vaportight sheath per the UL white book. 501.15(E)(3) does not require a seal unless directed to by 501.15(E)(1). 501.15(E)(1) says "Multiconductor ....cables capable of transmitting gases or vapors through the cable core that are installed in a division 2 location shall be sealed with a listed fitting...."

I would agree with the gentleman above, you need a TMCX on this.