diconnects and the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on EPEC. The question is regarding 5 circuit system and does it need a disconnect. My trouble is finding this in the code book (I am using the 2008). Any hints and or ideas of what section this is in?
Thank you

The question states per the NEC, a main disconnect is required for six circuit systems: however, the drawing specifies only a five circuit system. Is a main disconnect necessary. My am looking for the answer in the NEC code book 2008. But I can not find where in the book. I have looked in the index under disconnect, protection and main disconnects. I am just looking for a hint or a push int eh right direction.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Actually, the limit (max allowed) for the number of handle throws for a service disconnect is six, not five....

Hint: look under Services for "disconnecting means".

Tapatalk!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am working on EPEC. The question is regarding 5 circuit system and does it need a disconnect. My trouble is finding this in the code book (I am using the 2008). Any hints and or ideas of what section this is in?
Thank you

Can you provide any added info ?
Ditto.

What is EPEC?

5 circuit system? What kind of circuits? Service, feeder, branch ? general or specific-purpose?

Regarding GD's reply, six is the maximum in one location, and under certain conditions can exceed that number.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The question states per the NEC, a main disconnect is required for six circuit systems: however, the drawing specifies only a five circuit system. Is a main disconnect necessary. My am looking for the answer in the NEC code book 2008. But I can not find where in the book. I have looked in the index under disconnect, protection and main disconnects. I am just looking for a hint or a push int eh right direction.

If you are talking about a feeder serving another building or a new service then the number of throws cannot be more than 6 from the panel that is being fed. No main would normally be required. There is a lot of info missing to give you us a clear pic of what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.