Didn’t get the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Last year I was asked to look at a project. I walked into the building and it was obvious an inspector hadn’t seen it for a loooong time. The manager was new to this company but I had worked with him before at others. I told him my thoughts and that a State inspection would be obtained for work I did. His boss(es) decided they would continue as before. No problem, I really didn’t want the hassle.

The building burnt last night. Electrical fire.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Last year I was asked to look at a project. I walked into the building and it was obvious an inspector hadn’t seen it for a loooong time. The manager was new to this company but I had worked with him before at others. I told him my thoughts and that a State inspection would be obtained for work I did. His boss(es) decided they would continue as before. No problem, I really didn’t want the hassle.

Good thing you didn’t, last one that touched it gets blamed!

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
but he probably could have stopped the fire if he had taken the job, he should feel very guilty and ashamed!
Sounds like he didn't get the job because the client didn't want to put the work in. The boss(es) should be ashamed and feel guilty.... but they probably blamed it on the new guy. :rolleyes:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems unlikely that he would have been able to stop the fire. Fires happen. Might have been preventable, most are, but it's not the fault of the guy who had nothing to do with it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It seems unlikely that he would have been able to stop the fire. Fires happen. Might have been preventable, most are, but it's not the fault of the guy who had nothing to do with it.
Not only that, but every time there's no obvious cause, the FD will just check "electrical fire" and be done with it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I am, in some ways, not a very nice person. How do I know? Reading this made me smile.

Buck Parrish

I was asked to look at re-wiring a 40 stall horse barn. It had an apartment above and a daycare in the back. Whilst I was telling her how unsafe it looked. (Romex strung every where splices no boxes.) Another barn on the property about a 100 yards away started smoking then huge flames came out of it. Burned all the way down and burned the old family home place up too.
I didn't even bid on it.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician

Smartest thing you did was walk away

jeff48356

I know it can be hard when you are new at the game and don't have a ton of work and a ton of contacts, but one of the most important things I would tell my younger self is you don't need or want every job!
Exactly! Over the years, I've gained enough experience to know which kinds of jobs I don't want. I always refer such jobs to my competitors. They either have complications or adverse working conditions. Examples of such:
1) Those requiring working in attics in the middle of summer (wiring new ceiling fans, can lights, etc.)
2) Outdoor (or inside garage) projects in winter
3) Service upgrades in winter (not enough daylight hours to complete job in one day)
4) Service upgrades on tri-level houses (too difficult to get EGC from panel on finished wall on main level to water meter on finished lower level)
5) Whole-house generators (way too much work for only one person)
6) Pools and spas (no experience with either)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Not only that, but every time there's no obvious cause, the FD will just check "electrical fire" and be done with it.

One of my apprenticeship instructors was a local inspector for years. He said a fire marshall told him the same thing. Wiring is the default cause of fires lacking any other evidence.

I did a lot of stupid things when I had my business, still do a few now. But I felt good about the jobs I walked away from. Some I could have gotten because no one else wanted them. But the junk was too extensive and customer unwilling to pay for a rewire so I wasn't about to get my name on anything.

I did a handful of whole house rewires that have given good service for over 10 years and will do so for another 30 years or so. Those are my pride and joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.